Electromechanical Energy Conversion
- Describe the operating principle of rotating electrical machines
- Derive basic mathematical equation according to general theory of electrical machines
- Apply the general model of electrical machine for various types of machines
- Analyze steady state operating conditions of various types of electrical machines
- Relate classical theory of electromagnetic fields to operating principle of electrical machines
Forms of Teaching
Lectures take place in two cycles: the first 7 weeks at 3 hours and another 6 weeks, 3 hours per week.Exercises
Exercises are held 13 weeks per 1 hour.Laboratory
Laboratory exercises consist of three exercises, each lasting for 5 hours.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||15 %||50 %||15 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||25 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||35 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Physical fundamentals of electromechanical energy conversion; Force on a conductor; Faraday's law; Lenz's law; Energy balance of electromechanical system.
- Maxwell's stress tensor; Principle of virtual work; Kron's general model of electrical machine; Conditions for electromechanical conversion.
- Static and dynamic conditions of electromechanical system; Two-axis theory of electrical machines.
- Basic principle of operation and main parts of DC machines; Types of DC machines.
- Steady-state model of a DC machine; External characteristics of DC motors and generators.
- Starting, braking and speed control; Armature reaction; Commutation; DC winding.
- Linear current density; Magnetomotive force; Magnetomotive force of AC and multiphase excitation.
- Midterm exam.
- Winding of AC machines; Winding function; Winding inductances.
- Developed torque; Induced voltage.
- Basic principle of operation of induction machine; Construction; Windings.
- Equivalent circuit; Energy balance.
- No-load and short-circuit test; Equivalent circuit parameters; Torque characteristic.
- Techniques for starting induction motors; Speed control of the motor on power grid and power converter.
- Final exam.
Control Engineering and Automation (module)(5. semester)
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (study)(5. semester)
R.Wolf (1995.), Osnove električnih strojeva, Školska knjiga, Zagreb
Stephen Umans, A Fitzgerald, Charles Kingsley (2013.), Electric Machinery, McGraw-Hill Higher Education
Stephen J. Chapman (2012.), Electric Machinery Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing
L1 English Level
15 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory
75 Very Good