Communication Systems Practicum
- design and evaluate a functional electronic communication transmission system
- analyze and evaluate different technical solutions from the field of communication systems
- realize project activities within given time frame
- design embedded computer system for control of the communication system
- demonstrate the results of project activities in the form of expert article or presentation
- prepare project documentation
Forms of Teaching
The lectures cover the theoretical foundations, which are expanded through practical demonstrations.Independent assignments
Within the course, two or three practical projects are performed in which it is necessary to independently solve a project task related to a certain segment of communication system.Laboratory
Four blocks of laboratory exercises are performed in small groups.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||20 %||0 %||0 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||60 %||0 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||20 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Cognitive radio. Wireless sensor networks.
- System model. System capacity.
- Wired PAN technologies: Universal Serial Bus (USB) and FireWire, Wireles PAN (WPAN) technologies: Bluetooth, ZigBee, Wi-Fi, Infrared Data Association (IrDA).
- Wireless Universal Serial Bus (WUSB). Radio-frequency identification (RFID). Near Field Communication (NFC) and Z-Wave.
- Port and socket. Socket application programming interface (API). Name and address, User Datagram Protocol (UDP): server and client. Application protocols based on UDP.
- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP): server and client. Concurrency. Application protocols based on TCP. Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and File Transfer Protocol (FTP). Simple HTTP server.
- Cyber-Physical systems. Smart devices, sensors, and actuators. Internet of Things protocols. Software platforms and services for the Internet of Things.
- Digital receiver architectures, Transmitter. Receiver. Carrier and sampling frequency recovery.
- Digital receiver architectures: processing gain, correction of channel imperfections.
- Real time system (RTS) design. Task scheduling and scheduling analysis. Synchronization and communication concerns in RTS.
- Embedded system design techniques. Programming for embedded systems.