Switching and Protection Devices
In-depth knowledge of switching and protection devices. Deep understanding of general theory of switching and protection devices. Insight of current breaking systems and principles of power engineering system protection. Capability to determine the parameters of switching and protection devices.
- define functions of the switching and protection devices,
- choose low-voltage switching and protection devices,
- choose measurement transformers for protection device connection,
- choose protection system of MV industrial network,
- choose protection system of low-voltage industrial network,
- choose time coordination method for power system protection.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures will be held two hours a week with the use of PowerPoint presentations and overhead projectors.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises will be held in one cycle in the Laboratory of relay protection.Seminars
During semester, students will create one seminar.Internship visits
During semester there will be a technical visit to the Končar factory.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||20 %||0 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||20 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Definitions and the classifications of switching and protection devices.
- Functions of the switching and protection devices – circuit making and breaking, starting, regulation, protection and circuit control.
- Classification switching devices according to the function – disconnectors, switches, contactors, circuit breakers, starters, regulators, fuses, surge arrestors, relays, tripping devices, high and low voltage switchgear, grounding devices; the classification according to the rated voltage, current breaking system and the protection or circuit control function.
- Physics base of the switching devices, electrical contacts, direct and altering current interruption, basic technical characteristics – breaking and making capacity, rated current and rated voltage mechanical and electrical endurance.
- Low-voltage switching and protection devices; disconnectors, switches, contactors, residual current devices, fuses, surge arrestors, motor starters characteristics and choice.
- Low-voltage switchgear and control-gear, definitions and functions.
- Protections and other functions of the switching and protection devices; overload protection, short-circuit protection, protection against electric shocks, residual current protection, under-voltage protection.
- Short-circuit current limiting, amplitude and breaking time limiting.
- Protection coordination selectivity.
- Executions and characteristics of the tripping devices and relays.
- High-voltage devices and switchgear, disconnectors, switch-disconnectors, circuit breakers, fuses and high voltage substations.
- Protection of electrical networks, transformers, generators, bus-bars and motors in industrial power systems.
- Choice of the measurement transformers for protection device connection.
- Numerical relays execution; over-current, voltage, distance, differential relays.
- Installations, testing, maintenance, monitoring of the switching and protection devices.