Laboratory of Electrical Power Engineering 2
The students will participate in hands-on playing in the virtual electric power market (bidding, market rules, determining clearing price). The students should get acquainted with high voltage testing problems. They will get practical experience with generation, measurement and high voltage testing.
- describe the importance of high voltage testing
- explain the purpose of certain types of high voltage tastings
- relate the test results with previous findings
- explain the way in which exchange electricity trading takes place.
- prepare trading bids regarding available assets
- estimate social welfare loss due to power network congestions
- identify and estimate input data needed for calculation of electrical equipment heat-up
- compute and analzye temperature increase in electric power cables
Forms of Teaching
In the lectures students are prepared for laboratory work.Exams
Different modes of assessment: exam, report with exercises, seminar, homework.Laboratory Work
Experiments in the HV laboratory, calculations and computer simulations.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||13 %||0 %||0 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||11 %||0 %||0 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||25 %||0 %||0 %|
|Class participation||0 %||3 %||0 %||0 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||12 %||0 %||0 %|
|Attendance||0 %||1 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||35 %||0 %|
Continuous assessment is conducted during the semester and there is no final exam.
Week by Week Schedule
- Getting to know the teachers and the organization of the subject. Preparation for experiments in the next week.
- Generation and measurement of alternating HV. Alternating corona discharge.
- Testing and measurements of voltage distribution along insulator strings.
- Breakdown in solid and liquid dielectrics. Measurement of solid and liquid dielectrics characteristics.
- Generation and measurement of direct HV. Electrical breakdown in gases. Spike - panel gap.
- Generation and measurement of impulse HV. Discharge voltages (50% values). Metal oxide arresters.
- Testing of insulating protection equipments.
- Main heat transfer processes and numerical methods used to solve heat conduction equations
- Phenomena relevant for prediction of burried power cable heat-up and example calculation using finite element method
- Introductory lectures on the part of course related to the electricity market.
- Introductory laboratory work on the simulator MASI. Understanding the software.
- Laboratory work on the simulator MASI that includes power plats with different marginal costs and also bilateral contracts.
- Final laboratory work on simulator MASI that are beeing evaluated. Exam during this laboratory work.