Power Electronics Practicum
Knowing fundamental topologies and functions of power electronic converters. Ability to select appropriate converter according to required application. Ability of converter commissioning.
- explain operation principles of basic power electronic converters
- apply the acquired knowledge for modeling and simulation of basic power converters.
- apply the acquired knowledge to measure the characteristic waveforms of the basic power converters
- modify the simulation model to obtain model behavior closer to the real circuit.
- analyze the operation of basic power converters using simulation results and measurements.
- analyze the complex system of a power converters on the basic components.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are organized through 2 teaching cycles. The first cycle consists of 7 weeks of classes and mid-term exam, a second cycle of 6 weeks of classes and final exam. Classes are conducted through a total of 15 weeks with a weekly load of 1 hour.Exams
Examination consists of mid-term exam and final exam in which numerical problems are solved, and the writing of reports and seminars about laboratory exercises.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises are organized through 2 cycles. The first cycle consists of 4 exercises, a second cycle of 2 exercises. Exercises are conducted through a total of 15 weeks with a weekly load of 2 hours.Seminars
At the end of the second cycle of lectures, students are writting seminars which demonstrate the ability to connect theoretical knowledge, modeling and simulation and analysis of measurement results.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||30 %||0 %||30 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||30 %||0 %||30 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||10 %||10 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||10 %||20 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Written||10 %||20 %|
|Exam: Oral||20 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Fundamentals of power electronics circuits simulation.
- Fundamentals of power electronics circuits measurements.
- Basic power electronics switches. Idealised characteristics of power switches.
- Power converters topologies and circuits. Rectification and DC/DC conversion.
- Power converters topologies and circuits. Inversion and AC/AC conversion.
- Converter control and power characteristics, efficiency, power factor, displacement factor.
- Midterm exam
- Interaction of power converter, power supply and the load.
- Power converter system for renewable energy sources as complex power electronic system. Analysis of basic components.
- Power converter system for renewable energy sources as complex power electronic system. Digital control system analysis. Properties and abilities. Practical work with system.
- Driver circuits for thyristors and transistors (bipolar, MOSFET and IGBT).
- Power semiconductor's dissipated power calculation. Thermal management. Case study.
- Power semiconductors protection, snubbers, fuses. Catalogue data interpretation and application.
- Presentation of seminars. Analysis of complex power electronic systems.
- Final exam