Microwave Networks and Circuits
- analyze networks and circuits with distributed parameters
- explain the operation and application of multi-port microwave circuits
- design microstrip transmission lines and circuits consisting of such lines
- explain operation principles and applications of microwave semiconductor devices
- design simple active microwave circuits with semiconductor elements
- explain the operation of the microwave oscillator
- explain the principles of frequency synthesis
- explain the principles of mixing and frequency conversion
Forms of Teaching
Lectures present theoretical concepts, existing mathematical models and examples from practice.Exercises
Classroom exercises allow the application of concepts from lectures in solving practical examples.Independent assignments
Independent tasks deepen understanding and develop independence in solving practical problems.Laboratory
The laboratory complements the development of problem-solving skills through self-contained and team solving of more complex problems.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||0 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||25 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||25 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||50 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Port and reference plane. One-port network. Impedance. Foster's reactance theorem. Two-port and multi-port networks. Impedance and admittance matrices (Z-, Y-parameters). Power waves, scattering parameters. Transmission matrix (ABCD-parameters). Reciprocal network, matched network, lossless network.
- Quarter-wave impedance transformer. Coaxial transmission line. Stripline, microstrip line.
- Signal flow graphs. Graph decomposition. Mason's rule. Two-port networks (attenuator, ferrite isolator, phase shifter).
- Three-port networks (ferrite circulator, T-junction, resistive power divider, Wilkinson power divider).
- Directions coupler (symmetrical and asymmetrical). Waveguide and transmission line couplers, hybrids. Quadrature hybrid, 180° hybrid, even and odd mode analysis.
- Serial and parallel resonant circuit, quality factor and bandwidth. Transmission line resonators, cavity resonators, dielectric resonators. Excitation of resonators. Coupling with external circuits.
- Filter synthesis. Maximally flat response filters. Equal-ripple response filters. Elliptic function filters. Impedance and frequency scaling. Richard's transformation. Kuroda's identities. Microwave filter prototypes.
- Midterm exam
- PIN diode. Varactor diode. Schottky diode. Gunn element. Microwave avalanche diodes. Microwave bipolar transistors, HBT. Microwave field effect transistors, MOSFET, MESFET, HEMT.
- Power gain definitions. Amplifier stability, stability circles. Unilateral amplifier, unilateral figure of merit. Amplifier design for specified gain. Amplifier design for specified noise figure.
- Collpits and Hartley oscillator circuits. Voltage controlled oscillator. Crystal oscillators. Oscillators with one-port device (Gunn oscillator). Microwave transistor oscillators.
- Injection locking. Oscillator phase noise.
- Direct frequency synthesizers. Phase-locked loop frequency synthesizers. Digital look-up frequency synthesizers.
- Mixer circuits, analysis and design of mixers.
- Final exam