Good understanding of sound field in open and closed spaces. Practical skills to model the relevant acoustical parameters e.g. speech intelligibility and sound pressure level. Students are trained to calculate, choose and configure optimal version of sound reinforcement system for special purposes.
- define the basic terms used for describing the sound propagation in space, both open and closed
- distinguish between the elements in the sound reinforecement chain according to their purpose and technical characteristics
- distinguish between different types of loudspeaker box designs and their advantages and disadvantages in sound reinforcement applications
- estimate the interaction between the space and the sound reinforcement system
- analyze the problem of instaling a sound reinforcement system in a given space depending on its acoustical properties and intended purpose
- design a sound reinforcement system with appropriate charactersitics and topology that will ensure the best possible conditions for transmission of acoustic information and is appropriate for a given space
- evaluate the quality of a sound reinforcement system and its adequacy for a given space based on acoustical measurements and computer simulations
Forms of Teaching
Lectures once a week, 90 minutes durationExercises
Auditory excercisesLaboratory Work
Laboratory will be organized through 4 excercises, each of 90 minutes duration.Seminars
Design of a sound reinforcement system appropriate for a given space, in concordance with its acoustical properties and intended purpose.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||15 %||0 %||15 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||30 %||0 %||30 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||55 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Basic terms connected with propagation of sound in space.
- Reference schematics of sound reinforcement system.
- Characteristics of audio signal sources, its spectrums, levels and dynamics.
- Active components of sound reinforcement system.
- Devices for frequency, dynamics and temporal processing of audio signal. Devices for mixing, connecting and distribution. Output power amplifiers.
- Loudspeakers. Measurements of T/S parameters. Loudspeaker boxes, loudspeaker arrays.
- Equation of sound reinforcement system with use of parameters of real sources and sound emitters.
- Midterm exam
- Calculation of necessary and realizable amplification in a system.
- Determination of parameters of acoustical quality.
- Topology of sound reinforcement system.
- Comparison of individual systems.
- Digitally controlled sound reinforcement systems.
- Designing of sound reinforcement with computer. Sound reinforcement for congresses and conferences
- Final exam