Deep understanding of basic RF electronic circuits design and operation. Ability to analyze and design of the respective circuits. Practical skills to analyze and design electronic circuits using adequate software tools.
- recognize rf circuits within integrated electronic device
- select an oscillator circuit depending on the application
- design basic LC-oscillator circuits
- design FET RF power amplifier circuit
- design BJT RF power amplifier circuit
- design linear RF power amplifier
- design broadband RF power amplifier
Forms of Teaching
During lectures slides are presented.Exams
Questions and exercises with problems.Consultations
The professor and the assistant are ready for consultations upon request.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
Students individually study the problems.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Class participation||0 %||1 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||44 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||55 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||100 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- RF devices design, device units - examples. Self-oscillating system. Oscillation generation: feedback, negative resistance.
- Feedback oscillators - self excitation conditions, oscillator analysis methods.
- LC feedback oscillators, Collpits oscillator, oscillations frequency, conditions for self-excitationcircuit design. Hartley oscillator, oscillations frequency, conditions for self-excitationcircuit design.
- Frequency stability, causes of instability, frequency tolerance. Frequency stabilization methods. Gouriet-Clapp oscillator.
- Frequency stabilization by electromechanic resonance. Crystal applications in oscillator circuits. Crystal unit equvalent circuit and its elements.
- Applying a crystal in an oscillator circuit. Pierce and Miller oscillator - design examples. Oscillators with a logical circuit, invertor biasing. Oscillator circuits with crystal in series or parallel resonance.
- Tuned power amplifier basic properties, classes of operation. Gain and power efficiency. Class C tuned power amplifier. MOS transistor amplifiers. Transistor parameter limits.
- Amplifier analysis using linearized transistor characteristics, power balance. MOSFET biasing, circuit designs.
- High power amplifier system - amplifier modules. Bipolar transistor parameter limits. Input, output and load impedance.
- Amplifier calculation. Power increase by asymetric vollector voltage, biharmonic operation. Bipolar transistor biasing, circuit designs.
- Class D amplifiers: square wave current circuit and square wave voltage circuits. Class D circuits power properties, circuit designs.
- Class E amplifier basic circuit. Currents and voltages waveforms. Circuit calculation. Circuit designs.
- Class F amplifier. Broadband power amplifiers.
- Impedance transforming network role in RF amplifier circuits, matching network analysis methods.
- Resonant matching circuits, design and properties. Input and output matching circuit particularities. Broadband matching circuits, line transformers.