Fundamentals of Plasma Physics
Providing students with the fundamental knowledge of plasma physics, and enabling them to successfully apply very wide use of plasma in their respective disciplines of interest. Giving students a possibility to understand how they could achieve results successfully combining knowledge gained from different disciplines. In the course students see how the elements from atomic physics, electromagnetism, quantum physics, semiconductor theory, and electronics and computing could be used together in plasma physics theory. Helping students to develop critical thinking skills. Preparating students for careers in high-techological industries and in research and developing institutions.
- Define plasma state and characteristic plasma parameters.
- Explain plasma and cyclotron frequency.
- Express laws for electromagnetic radiation from plasma.
- Describe collisional processes in plasma.
- Describe plasma system with magnetohydrodynamics.
- Describe waves in plasma.
- Use fundamentals of plasma diagnostics.
- Describe plasma types and their use.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures with exercises and presentations in two cycles of 7 and 6 weeks.Consultations
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Class participation||0 %||25 %||0 %||25 %|
|Attendance||0 %||5 %||0 %||5 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||35 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Historical review of plasma physics. Characteristic plasma parameters.
- Debye shielding. Quazy-neutrality. Plasma and cyclotron frequency.
- Electromagnetic radiation from a plasma. Equlibrium relations.
- Collision processess in plasma. Collisional frequency.
- Kinetic theory. Phase space. Distribution function.
- Plasma in electrical field. Resistivity of plasma.
- Magnetohydrodynamics. Basic equations. MHD equilibrium. Rayleigh-Taylor instability.
- Midterm exam.
- Plasma waves.
- Plasma diagnostics : temperature measurements.
- Plasma diagnostics: density measurements.
- Artificialy produced plasmas - examples.
- Plasmas in universe - examples.
- Terrestrial plasmas - examples.
- Final exam.