Knowledge of embedded system design, the corresponding implementation technology, and their application.
- define embedded system, its elements and architecture
- classify embedded system components based on signal type, integration level, realization and functionality
- analyze and build a simple embedded computer system from scratch
- develop hardware and software for embedded computer system with 8-bit microcontroller
- apply peripherals which are built in 8-bit microcontrollers
- design embedded computer system using FPGA
- apply programmable logic, programmable array logic (PAL), field programmable gate arrays (FPGA)
Forms of Teaching
3 hours once every weekExams
midterm exam and final examLaboratory Work
6 times in semesterConsultations
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||24 %||50 %||24 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||33 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||33 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||66 %|
|Exam: Oral||10 %|
The student is allowed to approach the oral exam if minimum 50% is gained on the midterm and written part of the final exam. The student is allowed to approach the oral exam if minimum 50% is gained on the written part of the exam. Oral exam is not mandatory.
Week by Week Schedule
- Embedded computer systems - historical perspective from Apollo guidance computer to IPhone. Elements and architecture of typical embedded computer.
- Classification of embedded system components based on signal type, integration level, inner and outer realization and application domain. Packaging of electronic components.
- Design of embedded systems: chip level design and board level design. Technical specification and standards. Interconnection standards, logic level standards and power supply standards.
- Families of digital components. Unipolar and bipolar signaling standards. Noise sources and immunity; digital signal integrity.
- Example of a rudimentary digital system. From specification to implementation and evaluation. Bus-timing analysis.
- Microcontrollers in embeded systems. Basic microcontroller architecture. Example of 8-bit microcontroller. Hardware design of microcontroler based embedded systems. Design examples.
- Built-in periferial circuitry. Analog to digital convertor, pulse width modulator, capture and compae circuitry, watch dog. Software development in assembler. Examples of assembler programs working with built-in peripherals.
- Midterm exam.
- Reset circuitry, clock sources, power supplies. Example of embedded system based on 8-bit microcontroller. EPROM emulator. Emulacija ugrađenih komponentara. Microcontroller emulator. Software development in C.
- Dedicated user interfaces. Connection od LEDs, 7- segment indicators and liquid crystal displays (LCDs). I2C bus. In-circuit emulation. EPROM emulator. Microcontroller emulator. Protection of hardware and software design.
- Programmable logic, programmable array logic (PAL), field programmable gate arrays (FPGA).
- Design tools for programmable logic devices.
- Soft microcontroller cores, PicoBlaze
- Single chip implementation in FPGA technology.
- Final exam.