Overall concept and fundamental knowledge on characteristics and architectures of electronic communication systems. Explanation of modulation techniques and their applications in different types of communication systems. Complete overview of modern communication technologies and their possibilities in service implementation.
- explain elements of electronic communication system
- define parameters that describe information transmission in different types of communication systems
- estimate digital signal characteristic in baseband transmission
- identify and recognize main characteristic of analog and digital modulation methods
- explain principle of OFDM signal generation
- select modulation method parameters for meeting given application demands
- distinguish multiplexing techniques, compare switching techniques, understand multiple access techniques
- analyze possibilities and limitations of different communication systems
Forms of Teaching
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Comment:||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||39 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||51 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||90 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Information sources and types: sound, image and data. Various information signals characteristics. Information transmission through space (communication) and time (storage).
- Communication system model, analog and digital transmission, transmission media types, physical parameters and applications, narrowband and broadband services.
- Communication channel: transmission characteristics, channel noise. Modulation concept, modulation methods classification.
- Continuous and discrete sine carrier modulation. Amplitude modulation and the derived methods. Modulated signal distortion and noise performance.
- Phase modulation, frequency modulation. Modulated signal distortion and noise performance.
- Digital data electric representation, signal formats. Inter-symbol interference (ISI), Nyquist criteria. Signals with ISI. Channel noise impact on transmission error performance, bit error rate (BER), symbol error rate (SER).
- Discrete (digital) modulations. Amplitude-shift keying. Frequency-shift keying. Coherent and non-coherent demodulation. Phase-shift keying. Differential encoding of PSK-signal, differentially-coherent and differential demodulation. Carrier recovery.
- Mid-term exam.
- Minimum-shift keying, Gaussian minimum-shift keying. Hybrid modulation methods, QAM. Channel equalization. Optimum receiver concept, matched filter.
- Orthogonal frequency division multiplex (OFDM). Pulse train modulation, PAM, PDM, PPM.
- Open systems interconnect (OSI) reference model, interfaces between layers, interconnectivity and internetworking, protocols and protocol stacks.
- Javna komutirana telefonska mreža. Sinkroni i asinkroni prijenos, postupci multipleksiranja i komutacije, pleziokrona (PDH) i sinkrona digitalna hijerarhija (SDH). Dvosmjerna komunikacija: FDD, TDD, simpleks, poludupleks, dupleks, tehnike višestrukog pristupa: FDMA, TDMA, CDMA, SDMA, CSMA.
- Modem connections. Digital Subscriber Lines Technologies. Local area network.
- Electromagnetic spectrum, radio frequency bands and allocations, licensed and license-free bands. Wireless local area networks.
- Mobile communication systems overview.
Control Engineering and Automation -> Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Module)
Electrical Power Engineering -> Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Module)
Electronic and Computer Engineering -> Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Module)
Electronics -> Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Module)
Wireless Technologies -> Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (Module)