- List of select publications
- Teaching duties
- Research areas
- Professional memberships
- Personal data
- List of select projects
- Past employments
(Please also check out our MUEXLab web site!)
- T. Hoßfeld, P.E. Heegaard, L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Varela. "Deriving QoE in systems: from fundamental relationships to a QoE-based Service-level Quality Index". Quality and User Experience 5, 7 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s41233-020-00035-0
- I. Orsolic, L. Skorin-Kapov, 2020. A Framework for in-Network QoE Monitoring of Encrypted Video Streaming. IEEE Access, Vol. 8, pp.74691-74706.
- M. Suznjevic, L. Skorin-Kapov, Aleksandra Cerekovic, Maja Matijasevic, "How to Measure and Model QoE for Networked Games? The case study of World of Warcraft ", , Multimedia Systems, 25, pages 395–420, Springer, 2019.
- L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Varela, T. Hoßfeld, K-T. Chen, "A Survey of Emerging Concepts and Challenges for QoE Management of Multimedia Services", ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (ACM TOMM), Vol. 14, no. 2, May 2018., paper appendix
- T. Hoßfeld, L. Skorin-Kapov , P. Heegaard, M. Varela, "A New QoE Fairness Index for QoE Management", Quality and User Experience, Springer, 2018, open access: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41233-018-0017-x.
- I. Slivar, M. Sužnjević, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Game Categorization for Deriving QoE-Driven Video Encoding Configuration Strategies for Cloud Gaming", ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications (ACM TOMM), vol 14. no. 3, June 2018.
- I. Orsolic, D. Pevec, M. Sužnjević, L. Skorin-Kapov, "A Machine Learning Approach to Classifying YouTube QoE Based on Encrypted Network Traffic", Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, 2017, pg. 1-35, available online, DOI: 10.1007/s11042-017-4728-4
- S. Baraković, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Modeling the relationship between design/performance factors and perceptual features contributing to Quality of Experience for mobile Web browsing", Computers in Human Behavior, Vol 74, Sept 2017 (available online April 2017), pp. 311-329., doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2017.04.046.
- T. Hoßfeld, L. Skorin-Kapov , P. Heegaard, M. Varela, Definition of QoE Fairness in Shared Systems, IEEE Communication Letters, Vol. 21, Issue 1, Jan. 2017, available online, DOI: 10.1109/LCOMM.2016.2616342
- M. Marjanović, L. Skorin-Kapov, K. Pripužić, A. Antonić and I. Podnar Žarko. "Energy-Aware and Quality-Driven Sensor Management for Green Mobile Crowd Sensing", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier, Vol. 59, pp. 59-108, Jan. 2016.
- M. Sužnjević, L. Skorin-Kapov, I. Humar, "Statistical User Behavior Detection and QoE Evaluation for Thin Client Services",Computer Science and Information Systems, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 587-605, 2015.
- S. Baraković, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Multidimensional Modelling of Quality of Experience for Mobile Web Browsing", Computers in Human Behavior, Sept. 2015, Vol. 50, pp. 314-332, Elsevier, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2015.03.071
- L. Skorin-Kapov, O. Dobrijević, D. Piplica, "Towards Evaluating the Quality of Experience of Remote Patient Monitoring Services: A Study Considering Usability Aspects", International Journal of Mobile Human Computer Interaction, 6(4), pp. 59-89, Oct.-Dec. 2014.
- K. Ivešić, L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Matijašević. "Cross-layer QoE-driven Admission Control and Resource Allocation for Adaptive Multimedia Services in LTE", Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Elsevier, doi:10.1016/j.jnca.2014.09.010, available online Sept. 2014, vol 46, pp. 336-351. [ScienceDirect][PDF, pre-print of the final version]
- M. Varela, L. Skorin-Kapov, F. Guyard and M. Fiedler. "Meta-Modeling QoE - Towards a Generic Methodology for Building QoE Models". PIK - Praxis der Informationverarbeitung und -kommunikation, Vol. 37, No. 4, Oct. 2014, pp. 265-274, DOI: 10.1515/pik-2014-0028
- S. Barakovic, L. Skorin-Kapov, "Survey and Challenges of QoE Management Issues in Wireless Networks", Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, Vol. 2013, Article ID 165146, 28 pages, doi:10.1155/2013/165146 [Open Access Journal]
- K. Ivešić, L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Matijašević, “Towards QoE-Driven Resource Allocation for Multimedia Services in LTE”, E-Letter of the Multimedia Communications Technical Committee (MMTC), IEEE Communications Society, Nov. 2012 (Vol. 7, No. 8)
- L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Matijasevic, “Analysis of QoS Requirements for e-Health Services and Mapping to Evolved Packet System QoS Classes,” International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, vol. 2010, Article ID 628086, 18 pages, 2010. doi:10.1155/2010/628086. [Open Access Journal]
- L. Skorin-Kapov, M. Mošmondor, O. Dobrijević, M. Matijašević, “Application-level QoS Negotiation and Signaling for Advanced Multimedia Services in the IMS”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 45 No. 7, July 2007, pp. 108-116. [PDF]
- M. Mosmondor, L. Skorin-Kapov, R. Filjar, M. Matijasevic. “Conveying and Handling Location Information in the IP Multimedia Subsystem”, Journal of Communications Software and Systems (JCOMSS), Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 313-321, December 2006. [PDF]
- L. Skorin-Kapov, H. Komerički, M. Matijašević, I. Pandžić, M. Mošmondor. “MUVA: A Flexible Visualization Architecture for Multiple Client Platforms”, Journal of Mobile Multimedia, Rinton Press, Vol. 1 No. 1, 2005, pp. 03-17. [JMM] [PDF]
- L. Skorin-Kapov, D. Mikić, D. Vilendečić, D. Huljenić, “Analysis of End-to-End QoS for Networked Virtual Reality Services in UMTS”, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 42 No. 4, April 2004, pp. 49-55. [PDF]
- M. Matijašević, L. Skorin-Kapov. “Design and Evaluation of a Multi-User Virtual Audio Chat”, Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 19, pp. 229 - 239, February 2003. [FGCS] [PDF]
Lea Skorin-Kapov is Professor and head of the Multimedia Quality of Experience Research Lab (MUEXLab). Her research interests include Quality of Experience modeling of multimedia and mobile Web-based applications, QoE monitoring of encrypted video traffic, cross-layer negotiation and management of QoS/QoE in NGN environments, and policy-based resource allocation and optimization mechanisms.
She was born in Zagreb, Croatia. She attended elementary school and high school in Canada and the USA. After returning to Croatia, she received her Dipl.-Ing., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Telecommunications from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing (FER) at the University of Zagreb, Croatia, in 2001, 2004, and 2007, respectively. She was awarded the Silver Plaque „Josip Loncar“ award for both outstanding masters thesis and outstanding doctoral dissertation. Her doctoral dissertation was entitled "A Framework for Service-Level End-to-End Quality of Service Negotiation and Adaptation". In 2001, she completed a short term internship at the Czech Technical University in Prague.
From 2001-2009 she was employed as a senior research engineer and project manager in the Research and Development Center of Ericsson Nikola Tesla d.d. (ETK), Zagreb, Croatia. During that time she was involved in projects conducted in collaboration between ETK and FER focused on researching QoS signaling, negotiation, and adaptation for advanced multimedia services in NGNs. She was also a member of the ETK Innovation Management Group and Technology Management Group. In 2005 she completed the Ericsson Leadership Core Curriculum development program. From 2003-2009 she participated in organizing and running the annual ETK Summer School for top-class students (in cooperation with FER). From 2002-2009 she was an adjunct teaching and research assistant at the Department of Telecommunications, FER, University of Zagreb.
Since 2010 she has been employed at the Department of Telecommunications, FER, University of Zagreb. She is currently involved in a number of research and industry funded projects, and is principal investigator for the project "Modeling and Monitoring QoE for Immersive 5G-Enabled Multimedia Services" funded by the Croatian Science Foundation. She is a member of the Croatian Centre of Research Excellence for Data Science and Advanced Cooperative Systems, and a member of the Management Board of the Center for Artificial Intelligence at FER. She previously participated in EU COST Action IC1304 ACROSS (Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services), COST Action IC1003 (European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services, QUALINET), Celtic-Plus project "Quality of Experience Estimators in Networks" (QuEEN), FP7 OpenIoT, and EU SIIF project "ICT-based Competence Network for Innovative Services for Persons with Complex Communication Needs ".
She has published over 100 scientific papers, has served on numerous conference and workshop TPCs including ACM Multimedia, ACM Multimedia Systems, QoMEX, ICC, Infocom, ITC, SPIE, QCMan, and others, and has served as Program co-chair of the IEEE flagship Region 8 conference EUROCON, and the International Conference on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX 2017). She is on the editorial board of IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management and Springer's Multimedia Systems journal, and has served as Guest Editor for the IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, and ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications. She acts as reviewer for top rated journals including IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE Computer, Springer Multimedia Tools and Applications, IEEE Surveys and Tutorials. She was a contributing author to ETSI TS 103 294 "Speech and multimedia Transmission Quality (STQ); Quality of Experience: A Monitoring Architecture".
She is currently serving as Chapter chair of the IEEE Communications Society —Croatia Chapter, and is co-chair for the IEEE MMTC QoE Interest Group.
- Advanced Architectures of Telecomminication Networks (Lecturer in charge)
- Cognitive Communication Networks (Lecturer in charge)
- Heuristic Optimization Methods (Lecturer in charge)
- Laboratory of Telecommunication and Informatics 2 (Lecturer in charge)
- Graduation Thesis (Lectures)
- Graduation Thesis (Lectures)
- Graduation Thesis (Lectures)
- Project (Lectures)
- Project (Lectures)
- Project (Lectures)
- Project (Lectures)
Communication networks Communication system control Computer networks Data communication Digital multimedia broadcasting Internet IP networks Mobile communication Multimedia communication Quality of experience Quality of service Telecommunications Teleconferencing Information and communication technology Network topology
Computers and information processing
Computer applications Web sites World Wide Web Computer interfaces Computer networks Internet Internet
Digital multimedia broadcasting
Computational and artificial intelligence
- Chapter chair of the IEEE Communications Society —Croatia Chapter
- Co-chair for the IEEE MMTC QoE Interest Group
List of select projects
- Q-MERSIVE: Modeling and Monitoring QoE for Immersive 5G-Enabled Multimedia Services, 01/2020-01/2024, Croatian Science Foundation (PI)
- ARIEN: Power infrastructure management using collaboration techniques in Augmented Reality (Upravljanje energetskom infrastrukturom kroz kolaboraciju u proširenoj stvarnosti), 2018-2020, Europski fond za regionalni razvoj, IRI project, in cooperation with Diversitas IT sustavi d.o.o. (PI)
- Edu4Games – Development of professional and qualification standards and new study programmes for design and development of video games. European Social Fund, Grant no. UP.03.1.1.03.0032. Project duration: 22/3/2019-21/3/2022.
- Q-MANIC: Cooperative Quality of Experience Management for Interactive Cloud-Based Multimedia Applications in Mobile Networks; Croatian Science Foundation, 2015-2018 (PI)
- QoMoVid: QoE Monitoring Solutions for Mobile OTT Video Streaming, 10/2016 - 03/2019, Project funded by Ericsson Nikola Tesla (PI)
- Survey and analysis of monitoring solutions for YouTube network traffic and application layer KPIs, 2016, projekt suradnje s tvrtkom Ericsson Nikola Tesla (PI), 2015-2016
- EU COST Action IC1304: Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services (ACROSS), 2014-2017
- ICT Competence Network for Innovative Services for Persons with
Complex Communication Needs, Science and Innovation Investment Fund, IPA IIIc, projekt financira EU, 30.03.2013-29.03.2015
- Celtic-Plus projekt "Quality of Experience Estimators in Networks" (QuEEN), 2011-2014
- EU COST Action IC0703 “Data Traffic Monitoring and Analysis (TMA)”, 2011-2012
- EU COST Action IC1003 “European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services (QUALINET)”, 2011-2014
- “Services and Applications in the Future Internet: Ensuring Quality and Energy Efficiency”, bilateral project between Slovenia and Croatia (MZOŠ), 2012-2013
- “Nove arhitekture i protokoli u konvergentnim telekomunikacijskim mrežama” (MZOŠ), 2007-2011
- "Isporuka sadržaja i pokretljivost korisnika i usluga u mrežama nove generacije" (MZOŠ), 2011
- "Arhitektura i protokoli otvorene "all-IP" generacije mobilnih mreža", (MZOŠ), 2002-2006
- 2016 - : Associate Professor; FER, Department of Telecommunications, Zagreb
- 2010 - 2016 : Assistant Professor; FER, Department of Telecommunications, Zagreb
- 2001-2009: Research Engineer/Project Manager; Ericsson Nikola Tesla d.d., Zagreb