Technology Basics of Renewable Energy Exploitation
- analyze the resources (energy potentials) for all covered sources of energy
- explain the basic differences and limitations of of treated source of energy in terms of density, predictability, variability and impacts on the environment and economy
- create an assessment of of power and produced electricity for all energy sources covered
Forms of Teaching
Seminars and workshops
Seminars and workshops
Week by Week Schedule
- EU renewable energy legislation; Croatian renewable energy legislation.
- Wind resources (modelling, estimation, prediction); Modelling of wind turbine aerodynamics.
- Wind turbine types and electromechanical conversion in wind turbines; Connection and control of wind turbines in a wind power plant.
- Power converters in wind turbines; Wind farm integration into the electrical energy system; Technical and economical impacts of wind power plants on power systems.
- Small hydro power plants.
- Hydrogen and electrolysis.
- Fuel cells.
- Midterm exam.
- Physical basics of solar irradiance on Earth; Model of solar irradiance on a tilted surface on Earth; Solar resources - modelling and prediction; Direct transformation of solar energy - photovoltaic effect, cells, modules and arrays.
- Photovoltaic system modelling; Power converters in photovoltaic systems; Solar tracking; Maximum power point tracking; Concentrating solar energy systems; Solar thermal power plants.
- Geothermal power plants.
- Sea thermal energy conversion; Tidal energy; Sea wave energy; Sea resources assessment.
- Overview and classification of energy storage according to the capacity, efficiency, flexibility and durability; Dynamic characteristics of storage systems; Available power and energy characteristics; Analysis of time response, cycle efficiency and capacity of the storage system; Optimal allocation of energy storage; Potential benefits of introduction of energy storage in power systems; Energy mix and storage capabilities; Energy conversion efficiency; Storage modeling; Optimal siting and sizing; Pumped hydro storage; Large hydro accumulation; Battery energy storage systems; Utilization of partially degraded EV batteries for grid purposes; Compressed air energy storage; Modelling and control of large-scale energy storage systems; Battery energy storage systems; Capacitors and high power energy storage systems; Flywheel and electromechanical energy storage systems; Modelling and control of small-scale energy storage systems.
- Final exam.
Computing (study)Elective Courses (5. semester)
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (study)Elective Courses (5. semester)
(.), P. Kulišić: Sunčana energija i energija vjetra, 1991.,
(.), J. Twidell, T. Weir: Renewable Energy Resources, 2006,
(.), D. Šljivac, Z. Šimić: Obnovljivi izvori energije, 2009,
(.), J.F. Manwell, J.G. McGowan, A.L. Rogers: Wind Energy Explained, 2002,
(.), V.V.V. Kishore: Renewable Energy Engineering and Technology, 2009,
L3 English Level
0 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory