Special Protection Systems
Having successfully completed the module, students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of specific solutions of power system protection and control, protection concept of combined autotransformer-phase shifting transformer, substation monitoring and control system.
- choose and setting MV motor protection system,
- choose earthing type and protection of network neutral point,
- choose wind generator protection system,
- choose protection system of MV network width wind generator,
- protection and connection of the transformer of each wind generator to the MV network,
- analysis of numerical relay algorithms,
- choose system protection and monitoring (WAMPAC),
- choose protection system of combined autotransformer-phase shifting transformer.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures will be held two hours a week with the use of PowerPoint presentations and overhead projectors.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises will be held in one cycle in the Laboratory of relay protection.Seminars
During semester, students will create one seminar.Internship visits
During semester there will be two technical visits of power plants.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||40 %||0 %||40 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||15 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Oral||15 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Numerical algorithms of digital relays.
- Sample and hold. A/D conversion.
- Intelligent electronic devices in HV and MV substations.
- Exchange of information in substations.
- Communication standards (IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5, UCA2, Modbus, Lon, Courier, OPC server).
- Integrated and coordinated protection and control system in power plants and substations.
- Renewal of protection and control equipments in substations.
- Protection of complex transmission circuits.
- Distance protection schemes. Differential protection schemes.
- Specific solutions of power system protection and automatization. Wind generator protection system. Protection system of MV network width wind generator.
- Remote control of feeder disconnector. Remote control of circuit breaker.
- Protection concept of combined autotransformer-phase shifting transformer.
- System protection. Underfrequency protection. Voltage collapse.
- Wide area monitoring. Wide area protection (WAMPAC).
- On-line monitoring (transformer, line, circuit breaker).