Synchronous and Induction Machines
- Describe the main parts of induction machines and brushless synchronous machines
- Derive and explain equations describing basic physical models of induction machines and brushless synchronous machines
- Apply physical models to analyze the inverter-fed induction machines and brushless synchronous machines
- Apply theoretical knowledge in laboratory conditions
Forms of Teaching
classical lectures using blackboard in combination with PowerPoint slidesExercises
solving numerical examples related to the content of the lecturesPartial e-learning
posting study materials and communicating with students through the course website. Moodle quizzes for self-study.Field work
a visit to factories which produce and test electrical machinesLaboratory
laboratory exercises using electrical machines, and accompanying power supply and measuring equipment for the purpose of practical demonstration and confirmation of the acquired theoretical knowledge
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||15 %||50 %||15 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||40 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||40 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||25 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||35 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Energy balance in electromechanical systems.
- Linear current density and MMF. AC and polyphase MMF.
- Torque and induced voltage of an AC machine. Two-axis theory of electrical machines. Space vectors and coordinate transformation.
- Basic principle of operation and construction of permanent magnet synchronous motors.
- Phasor diagram for SPM and IPM motors.
- Operating characteristics of permanent magnet synchronous motors.
- Testing of permanent magnet synchronous motors. A machine with permanent magnets as a traction motor.
- Midterm exam
- Synchronous reluctance motor.
- Generalized induction machine equivalent circuit for steady state.
- Space and current harmonic effects in induction machines, synchronous and asynchronous harmonic torque components.
- Effect of slot skew, radial forces, noise and vibration.
- Induction generators (squirrel-cage, doubly-fed). Single-phase induction motors.
- Induction machine production technology. Testing of induction motors. Influence of power converter.
- Final exam