Sound and Environment
Good understanding of the problems and solutions of sound insulation and noise protection, with applications to human environment. Good understanding of principles and methods in noise and vibration control used for residental buildings. Theoretical and practical knowledge about methods and techniques in noise measurements.
- evaluate the indicators of the interaction between sound sources and the surrounding, i.e. sound pressure, intensity and power
- explain the origin of mechanical vibrations and basic principles of vibration insulation
- operate a sound level meter and an accelerometer for measuring sound and vibration levels
- predict the influence of excess noise and vibration levels on human
- compare needed measures for indoor and outdoor noise protection based on requirements
- differentiate elements of interior acoustical design and sound insulation elements
- interpret noise maps for evaluation of imission levels based on noise indicators
- apply noise protection laws and regulations when evaluating the imssion levels
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are held in 2 terms, 3 hours per week. Short exams and solving of numerical examples will be integrated into the lectures.Exams
During the lectures, short tests on comprehension of the adopted knowledge will be held. Also a mid-term and final exam will be held.Laboratory Work
6 laboratory exercises will be organized that follow the contents of the lectures.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||20 %||0 %||0 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||35 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction. Sound and vibration basics. Noise.
- Wave equation of sound. Acoustic quantities. Levels. Sound fields and sources.
- Sound analysis - time and frequency domain. Filters.
- Sound measurement. Measurement microphone. Sound level meter.
- Mechanical vibrations. Single/multi degree of freedom systems. Vibration insulation.
- Vibration measurement and analysis. Accelerometer.
- Noise and vibration influence on human.
- Mid-term exam
- Sound intensity. Sound power.
- Noise protection measures 1 - indoors.
- Noise protection measures 2 - outdoors.
- Noise maps. Soundscape. Sound quality.
- Norms and laws in the field of sound and vibration in Croatia.
- Solving integral problems in the field of sound and vibration.
- Final exam