Radiation Effects and Radiation Protection
Student will achieve a good understanding of radiation interaction principles. Student will attain basic knowledge of radiation protection concepts. He will also gain practical skills to evaluate external and internal radiation doses. After completion of this course, the student will be able to design radiation shielding by using computer codes for gamma-ray and neutron transport.
- Describe mechanisms of radiation interaction with matter.
- List sources and detectors of radiation.
- Explain bilogical effects of radiation.
- Define physical quantities and units of radiation dosimetry.
- Evaluate external and internal radiation doses.
- Describe shields of neutron and gamma radiation.
- Evaluate basic parameters of ionizing radiation shield.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are given during 15 weeks, 2 hours per week.Exams
Homeworks and midterm exam.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises are given during 5 weeks, 3 hors per week.Consultations
Consultations are conducted individually or with a group of students, depending on an agreement with the students.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||10 %||0 %||5 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||10 %||0 %||5 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Interaction of charged particles with matter.
- Interaction of neutrons with matter.
- Interaction of electromagnetic radiation with matter.
- Radiation sources. Radiation detection.
- Radiation dosimetry.
- Biological effects of ionizing radiation. (Somatic effects, hereditary effects).
- Exposure to natural sources of radiation.
- Exposure to artificial sources of radiation.
- External dose evaluation.
- Internal dose evaluation.
- Gamma-ray and neutron shielding.
- Basic methods for gamma-ray shielding calculations.
- Basic methods for neutron shielding calculations.
- Transport and Monte Carlo methods for shielding calculations.
- Computer codes for shielding calculations.