Power System Supervision and Remote Control
Understanding of the control system concepts and principles of the remote control. Basic knowledge about the data acquisition techniques. Ability to implement SCADA system using PC based programming tools. Basic knowledge about data communication techniques and their application in power.
- describe hierarchical levesl and structure of the remote control system
- identify systems for data acquisition
- select communication protocols for telemetry
- define user interfaces in the remote control system
- apply software tool for SCADA applications
- distinguish characteristics of communication media used for remote monitoring and control
- prepare OPC server for SCADA application
Forms of Teaching
Lectures supported by Power Point presentations.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||50 %||20 %||50 %||20 %|
|Attendance||50 %||10 %||50 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Control system structure – control levels, local and remote control, control centers.
- Data acquisition and data distribution systems. Coding and data protection. Communication protocols.
- Computer based On-line monitoring. User interfaces for data presentation – local panels, monitors and video walls.
- Definition of SCADA. Elements of SCADA system. History of SCADA. Development from telemetry. Dependence on communication and computer.
- Real time systems. What really is real time. Communication access and Master-slave. Determining scan interval.
- Communications for SCADA. Communication protocols. Communication system components. Communication media. Modems.
- Local data network. Serial data transmission. Optical cables. Power lines communication. Wireless transmission and mobile telephony. Radio communications. Simplex and duplex. Turn-on time. Frequency bands. Reliability and maintenance. Satellite communications.
- RTU - Remote Terminal Units. Communication interface. Monitoring of discrete, analog and pulse signals.
- MTU - Master Terminal Unit. Communication interface. Configuring a picture of the process. Local data processing Data storage.
- Operator interface. Control panels and screens. Alarm processing. Graphical representation of trends and views. Reports.
- SCADA economics – costs versus benefits. Capital costs. Training and maintenance costs. SCADA operating costs.
- History of OPC. OPC overview, definitions and interfaces. OPC data access specifications. OPC alarms and events specifications.
- OPC batch specifications. OPC security. OPC and XML. OPC data exchange.
- Distributed component object model (DCOM). DCOM server and client. OPC server samples.
- WEB server technology. WEB server components. HTTP – Hypertext Transfer Protokol.