Power System Protection
Having successfully completed the module, students will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts of power system protection, signalling and intertripping, protection of transmission and distribution circuits, protection in power plants, relay testing and commissioning. It introduces technical requirements, configuration philosophies and design solutions.
- choose and setting distribution network relay protection,
- choose and setting transmission network relay protection,
- choose and setting power transformer protection,
- choose and setting generator protection system,
- choose busbar protection system,
- testing of protection devices.
- choose and setting motor protection system,
- choose and setting capacitor banks protection systems,
Forms of Teaching
Lectures will be held three hours a week with the use of PowerPoint presentations and overhead projectors.Laboratory Work
Laboratory exercises will be held in one cycle in the Laboratory of relay protection.Internship visits
During semester there will be two technical visits of power plants.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||20 %||0 %||20 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||12 %||0 %||0 %|
|Class participation||0 %||8 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||15 %||0 %|
|2. Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||15 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||30 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Definitions and terminology. Electromechanical, static and numerical relays.
- Overcurrent protection.
- Distance protection.
- Distance protection schemes. Intertripping methods. Auto-reclosing.
- Differential protection (generator, transformer and HV line).
- Digital distance relay and digital fault locator.
- Over and undervoltage protection. Over and underfrequency protection. Thermal protection.
- Network protection. Busbar protection. CB protection.
- Transformer protection.
- Generator and generator-transformer protection.
- Industrial power system protection. A.C. motor protection.
- Instrument transformers for protection purposes (conventional and non-conventional c.t`s and v.t`s).
- Data communication inside the HV substations. Fault record (Comtrade zapis, Digsi, Reval, Master).
- Choice of protection schemes and protection setings
- Testing and commissioning.