Power System Dynamics and Control
- Explain principles of balancing between active and reactive power in a power system.
- Name and explain types of power system regulation.
- Differentiate interconnected power system operation form islanding power system operation.
- Explain the connection between frequency and active power and between voltage and reactive power.
- Describe the process of frequency collapse in a power system and functioning of frequency load shedding system.
- Describe the voltage collapse process in a power system and functioning of undervoltage load shedding system.
- Name and explain types of power system stability.
- Identify the most important parameters which determine dynamic behaviour of synchronous machines and describe the impact of each parametr on the power system dynamics.
Forms of Teaching
Week by Week Schedule
- Active power and frequency interdependencies, Load-generation balance, Static characteristic of different power units, Power system equivalent static characteristic
- Swing equation, Linear and nonlinear models of hydro power turbines, Linear and nonlinear models of thermal power tubines, Model of a synchronous generator with regulation, Hydro generator model, Turbo generator model
- Dynamic response of power system to imbalance, Primary, secondary and tertiary f-P control, Power reserves in control, Consumer dynamic model, Reduction of complex power system models
- Island operation, Load following, Operation of an isolated system
- Underfrequency load shedding schemes, Restoration, Black start, System blackout and restoration, Analysis of historical power system blackouts
- Reserve, Energy mix, Interconncetions, Interconnection line equation
- Reactive power and voltage interdependencies, Reactive power characteristics and consumers, Reactive power control devices
- Midterm exam
- Primary, secondary and tertiary U-Q control, Reactive power compensation, Undervoltage load shedding schemes
- Reliability, security and stability of power system, Frequency stability
- Power angle stability
- Voltage stability
- Parallel connected power systems, Dynamic characteristics of the power systems connection, Power system simulation considering frequency and voltage fluctuations
- Power system multimachine model considering angle and voltage stability, Simulation of the post-distrubance power system recovery, Commercial power system software tools
- Final exam
Electrical Power Engineering (profile)(3. semester)
(.), I. Kuzle. Dinamika elektroenergetskog sustava, FER/ZVNE, 2016.,
(.), I. Kuzle. (f-P) i (U-Q) regulacije u EES-u, FER/ZVNE, 2011.,
(.), P. Kundur. Power System Stability and Control, IEEE Press, 2011.,
(.), J. Machowski, J.W. Bialek, J.R. Bumby. Power System Dynamics: Stability and Control, John Wiley &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Sons, 2012,
(.), E. W. Kimbark. Power System Stability (Vol. I, II, III), IEEE Press, 1995,
L3 English Level
6 Laboratory exercises