Understanding of the power quality problems. Knowledge about disturbance sources and their influence on the end users. Ability to perform in-situ measurements and practical skills to analyze measuring results. Proposing measures to improve power quality.
- define the term power quality
- explain the security of supply
- describe parameters of voltage quality
- select legislation and standards regarding the power quality
- recognize the impact of harmonics on supply quality
- describe merasuring procedure of voltage quality
- explain measures to improve the quality of power supply
Forms of Teaching
Lectures supported by Power Point presentations.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||50 %||20 %||50 %||20 %|
|Attendance||50 %||10 %||50 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction to power quality. The quality of delivery. Voltage quality. The responsibilities of providers and consumers of electricity. Standards of power quality.
- Terms and definitions. Voltage transients: impulsive and oscillatory. Long-duration voltage variations: overvoltage, undervoltage, interruptions, Short-duration voltage variations; interruptions, sagsy, Voltage unbalance. Voltage distortion. Frequency variations
- Voltage drops and sags. Sources of voltage variations and interruptions, Equipment sensitivity to voltage sags.
- Transient overvoltages. Capacitor switching. Switching overvoltages. Lighting. Ferro resonance.
- Harmonic distortion. Voltage and current distorrtion. Sources of harmonic distortion. Influence on end users.
- Harmonic distortion measurement. Harmonic evaluation on the utility system. Harmonic evaluation for end users. Monitoring principles and harmonic eleimination. Harmonic filters. Standards applied to harmonic distortions.
- Long-term voltage variations. Voltage regulation principles. Tap changers. Static VAR compensators. Capacitor applications. Power factor corretions.
- Power quality estimation. RMS voltage variation indices. Harmonic indices.
- Power quality measuring equipment. Multimeters, data-logers, harmonic analyzers.
- Applied measures for power quality improvement. Grounding and wiring. Power factor correction.
- Electomagnetic interference. Power frequency electrical and magnetic fields. High frequency Interfference.
- Static electricity. Measurement of static voltages. Relative humidity measurement. Discharge of static potentials.
- Power quality contracts. RMS variations agreements. Harmonic agreements. Quality insurance.
- Power quality monitoring. Including power quality in distribution planning and development of distribution networks.
- Power quality economic. Influence of deregulated market.