Understanding of basic principles and characteristics of different power plant types. Knowledge of main components characteristics. Power plant operation in electric power system. Understanding of synchronous generator operation, operating limits calculation and choice of design characteristics for different power plant types. Power plants auxiliary electric systems knowledge.
- describe main power plants
- explain operation of main equipment in hydro power plant
- explain operation of main equipment in thermal power plant
- identify specific operational requirements in case of nucelar power plants
- analyze s
- describe characteristics of wind power plant operation
- compute main parameters for different power plant types
- analyze connection of different power plants to the grid
Forms of Teaching
Two hours per week.Exams
Continuously: one writing exam, final exam (writing and oral examination) and four short tests. Classical Exam: writing and oral examination at the end of semester. Results of three short tests are included.Exercises
One hour weekly.Laboratory Work
Two exercises, two hours duration of each: 1. Operation of power plant - island operation, power plant synchronization on electric power system, generation of active and reactive power 2. Generator unit operation - types of excitation (DC, brushless, thyristor), generator response, transfer functions of exciter and generator, time contantsOther Forms of Group and Self Study
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||50 %||8 %||50 %||8 %|
|Quizzes||50 %||12 %||50 %||12 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||60 %|
|Exam: Oral||20 %|
Homeworks and short test results are admit in classical exam.
Week by Week Schedule
- Power plants, classification and characteristics.
- Tzpes of hydro power plants and main equipment.
- Hydro turbines, types, operation, limits, selection. Hydro generator selection.
- Steam thermal power plants and main equipment.
- Gas thermal power plants and main equipment.
- Nuclear power plants tpes and main equipemnt.
- Nuclear power plant operation and power changes.
- Combined haet and power plants.
- Wind power systems and grid connection.
- Electrical one line diagram. Main operational characteristics and limits of plant generator.
- Generator connected to the grid and synchronization. Island mode of operation.
- Onsite power systems and plants auxiliary. Emergency power supply.
- Grid code