Process Measurements and Diagnostic in Power Plants
Understanding the principles of measuring non-electrical quantities. Understanding technical documentation of measuring circuits in process measurement systems. Identifying the elements of measurement chains - sensors, transducers, indicators and recorders. Differentiation of instruments for measuring and diagnosing in power plants. Understanding computer supported measurement systems.
- explain elements of measuring chaine
- distinguish measuring transducers of non-electric values
- describe non-conventional transducers of electric values
- describe infrared measuring technology
- identify inteiligent measuring transducers
- explain computerized measuring systems
Forms of Teaching
Lectures supported by Power Point presentations.Experiments
Demonstration of how to use specific measuring equipment.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||50 %||20 %||50 %||20 %|
|Attendance||50 %||10 %||50 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Gauges, registering meters and measuring transducers of non-electric values. Standard output voltage and current. Measuring loop 4-20 mA.
- Temperature measurement: RTD - Resistant Temperature Detectors (Pt 100, Pt 1000), thermocouple sensors, semiconductor sensors, pyrometers. Measurements of motor winding temperature, bearing temperature and cooling medium temperature.
- Infra-red measurements: IR thermometers, thermovision. Remote temperature measurement, defectoscoping of contact resistance, thermo-insulation damages.
- Pressure transducers. Measurement of hydrostatic pressure, hydraulic oil pressure, compressed air pressure, cooling hydrogen pressure, SF6 pressure.
- Flow measurement of air, steam and technical mediums. Turbine flow-meters, differential pressure flow-meters, Corioliss mass flow meters, inductive flow-meters, ultrasonic flow meters, Vortex flow meters. Measurements of water level, fuel level, technical mediums. Floats transmitters, hydrostatic transmitters, capacitive transmitters, ultrasonic and radar transmitters
- Measurements of water level, fuel level, technical mediums. Floats transmitters, hydrostatic transmitters, capacitive transmitters, ultrasonic and radar transmitters.
- Linear displacement measurement: LVDT (Linear Variable Differential Transformer), magnetostrictive transducers, non-contact transducers (capacitive, ultrasonic and laser), draw wire transducers. Measurement of turbine primary mover. Angle measurement: potentiometric and capacitive transducers. Achieving position of turbine butterfly–valve.
- Rotating speed measurement: tahogegeratos, optical tahometers. Asynchronous motor start-up testing.
- Measurement of acceleration, shock and vibration: accelerometers, vibration sensors. Bearing vibration diagnostic. Measuring transducers of torque and shaft strain. Force transducers. Measurements of strain force in overhead line rope.
- Measurements of water quality parameters: pH, redox potential, conductivity, dissolved oxygen, turbidity, nitrate, chloride, chlorophyll. Steam-generator water treatment. Waste water analyses
- Meteorological measurements: wind speed and direction, barometric pressure, relative humidity, solar radiation, rainfall.
- Radiation measurements: ionizating radiation detectors. Monitoring of nuclear plants.
- Measuring transducers for special purposes: Ex-i (intrinsically safe), transducers for explosion zones. Transducers with NAMUR output.
- Non-conventional measurements of electrical values: Rogowsky coil, optical measuring transformers.
- Inteligent sensors. HART protocol. Local sensor networks and field busses (Profibus DP, CAN-bus, M-bus, MOD-bus, LON-bus). Computerized measuring systems.