The course is an introduction into the technology and principle of information transmission using light signaling. Following a discussion on physical foundation of light emission and detection, the course presents operating principles of main components in the fiber optic communications chain (lasers, modulators, optical fibers, and optical receivers) and discusses the main phenomena that degrades the quality of information transmission. Examples are given for optical communication and sensor systems and relevant components.
- describe the principle of operation of a system for information transfer using optical fibers
- describe the laser working principle and list categories of lasers used in optical communications
- describe types of light modulation and the principle of operation of optical modulators
- describe operating principle of optical receivers and semiconductor photodetectors
- describe the working princple of light propagation in optical fibers
- describe the phenomena that degreade the transmission of information in optical communications
- describe applications of optoelectronics in communication and sensor systems
Forms of Teaching
Week by Week Schedule
- Wave and particle properties of light; Wave coherence, interferometers; Guided optical waves, optical fibers
- Absorption, spontaneous emission, stimulated emission; Einstein coefficients, spectral line shape.
- Lasers, principle of laser operation; fundamental laser equation, selection of modes, laser types.
- Types of lasers; examples: HeNe laser, CO2 laser
- Properties of semiconductors, quantum mechanics concepts,
- Direct and indirect semiconductors, heterojunctions
- Semiconductor optical source types, multimode laser diodes, LED and SLED optical sources
- Midterm exam
- Single mode laser diodes (DFB and DBR); Frequency tunable lasers; Vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser (VCSEL).
- Semiconductor photodetectors; PIN and avalanche photodiode
- Optical transceiver design.
- Electro-optic, electroabsorption , acuosto-optic and magneto-optic modulators
- Principle of operation of optical fibers. Optical fiber types, Geometric optics analysis of optical fibers. Modes in multimode fibers.
- Optical link design: loss budget and rise-time budget analysis.
- Final exam
[FER3-HR] Computing - studyElective Courses (6. semester) Elective Courses (6. semester)
[FER2-HR] Electronics - moduleElective Courses (6. semester)
[FER2-HR] Wireless Technologies - moduleElective Courses (6. semester)
B. E. A. Saleh and M. C. Teich (2019.), Fundamentals of Photonics, Wiley
Safa O. Kasap (2013.), Optoelectronics & Photonics: Principles & Practices, Pearson
Joseph Verdeyen (1995.), Laser Electronics, Prentice Hall
L2 English Level
26 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory