- write an multithreaded program and program which creates multiple processes
- demonstrate how interrupt service routine works
- apply synchronization mechanisms
- list components of operating system kernel
- analyze deterministic and non-deterministic task system behaviour
- list and explain CPU scheduling algorithms
- employ memory allocation mechanisms
- explain demand paging
- develop file-system functions
Forms of Teaching
Twice a week.Exercises
Once a week.Laboratory
Laboratory exercises are done independently as part of homework.
By decision of the Faculty Council, in the academic year 2019/2020. the midterm exams are cancelled and the points assigned to that component are transferred to the final exam, unless the teachers have reassigned the points and the grading components differently. See the news for each course for information on knowledge rating.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||4 %||0 %||0 %|
|Homeworks||1 %||16 %||0 %||0 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Operating system roles; Interfaces; Computer and operating system components; Design issues.
- Device organization; I/O structure.
- Threads and processes; Thread management and context switching; Multiprocessor issues.
- Kernel; Synchronization and communication.
- Semaphores and monitors; Midterm exam.
- Semaphores and monitors.
- Deterministic and stochastic task systems models.
- Preemptive and non-preemptive scheduling; CPU scheduling.
- Segmentation; Paging; Hierarchical organization and virtual memory.
- Types of disks and data organization; File-system organization; File descriptor.
- Typical file-system functions; Virtual file system; Memory-mapped files.
- Types of virtualization; Hypervisors and cost of virtualization; Final exam.
Computing (study)(4. semester)
L. Budin, M. Golub, D. Jakobović, L. Jelenković (2013.), Operacijski sustavi, treće izdanje 2013., Element
Silberschatz, A., P.B. Galvin, G. Gagne (2012.), Operating Systems Concepts, John Wiley&Sons
L1 English Level
5 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory
75 Very Good