Overhead Lines and Cables
Students will gain knowledge of electric power networks elements and gain experience with calculations of mechanical and electrical paremeters of lines and cables.
- define the main principles of electric power transmission
- explain the characteristics of power transmission by overhead lines and electric cables
- analyze and calculate electric parameters of overhead lines and electric cables
- analyze electromagnetic fields in overhead line and electric cables and their environment
- plan the construction of new overhead transmission lines and electric cable lines
- compare the advantages and disadvantages of electric power transmission by overhead lines and electric cables
Forms of Teaching
Lectrures are given with the use of powerpoint presentations published on the web pages. The lectures are organized through 2 cycles. The first cycle consists of 7 weeks of lectures and 1st midter. econd cycle has 6 weeks of lectures and final exam. The lectures are given in total of 13 weeks, two hours per week.Exams
two midterm exams and final examConsultations
Consultation term is determined on the first lecture in agreement with the students.Other
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||40 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||25 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||25 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||45 %|
|Exam: Oral||45 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Technical standards of overhead lines.
- New concepts in mechanical lines design.
- Compact overhead lines.
- Radio and TV interference.
- The impact of power lines to communication networks.
- Effects of untransposed lines on current and voltage unbalance in power grids.
- Cables in general (LV, MV and HV; DC cables); gas-insulated lines.
- Materials for conductors and insulators.
- Cable parameters. Electrical fields in power cables. Capacitance, dielectric losses in cable, active resistance and inductance.
- Current capacity of cables. Correction factors.
- Surge arrester for protection of HV cables metallic sheath
- Overhead line – cable transition
- Laying of cable. Cable trench.