Nuclear Fuel Cycles and Reactor Materials
Student will achieve a good understanding of nuclear fuel cycle phases. Student will also acquire basic knowledge on reactor materials. He will attain practical skills to evaluate specific parameters of nuclear fuel cycles and reactor materials.
- State resources and production methods of uranium and thorium.
- Explain methods of uranium enrichment and conversion.
- State design and production of fuel assemblies.
- Explain methods of reactor calculation.
- Describe reprocessing and recycling of spent fuel.
- Explain management of low level and high level radioactive waste.
- Evaluate nuclear fuel cycle costs.
- State reactor materials structure and properties.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are given during 15 weeks, 2 hours per week.Exams
Homeworks and midterm exam.Consultations
Consultations are conducted individually or with a group of students, depending on an agreement with the students.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
Individual homeworks.Internship visits
Visit to Nuclear power plant Krško.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||0 %||20 %||0 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Resources and mining of uranium and thorium.
- Uranium conversion and uranium enrichment.
- Design and production of nuclear fuel assemblies.
- Economics of the nuclear fuel cycles.
- In-core fuel management.
- Reprocessing and recycling of the spent nuclear fuel.
- Management of high level radioactive waste.
- Management of low level radioactive waste.
- Decommissioning of the nuclear power plant.
- Structure and properties of nuclear materials.
- Nuclear reactor fuel.
- Structural materials of nuclear reactor.
- Neutron moderators.
- Nuclear reactor coolants.
- Materials for nuclear reactor control. Shielding materials.