- Describe the acquisition of magnetic resonance (MR) images.
- Differentiate features of structural, functional and diffusion images of the brain.
- Apply computing tools for processing brain MR images.
- Use general linear model for the analysis of functional MR images.
- Apply independent component analysis for processing resting-state functional MR images.
- Analyze diffusion images using tensors and tractography.
- Independently design a processing pipeline for brain MR image analysis to solve a research question.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are conducted with the help of power-point presentations with explanations on the board. Lectures are available in electronic form online.Independent assignments
During the course there will be short homework assignments and activity during the term will be graded.Laboratory
During the course, laboratory exercises are planned, which include practical and experimental work. At the end of each exercise there is a short exam on the performed activities and understanding of the material.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||30 %||50 %||30 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||25 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||20 %|
Homeworks bring bonus points.
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction to human brain anatomy.
- Introduction to brain image acquisition using magnetic resonance (MR). Basics of acquiring structural, functional and diffusion images.
- Introduction to structural MR image processing. Image registration and distortion correction.
- Segmentation and analysis of brain structures.
- Surface-based analysis.
- Functional MR image (fMRI) processing.
- General linear model (GLM). Single subject analysis. Modelling. Statistics.
- Midterm exam.
- Group-level analysis. Multiple comparisons.
- Advanced GLM.
- Resting state fMRI (rs-fMRI) processing. Independent Component Analysis.
- Dual regression. Network modelling analysis.
- Diffusion Tensor Imaging (DTI) analysis. Diffusion tractography.
- Complementary approaches in neuroimaging analysis.
- Final exam.