- Explain the basic features of a wireless channel and equalization techniques.
- Explain the main characteristics of mobile systems from different generations.
- Evaluate correctness of cellular planning.
- Explain the basics of MIMO technology.
- Recognize the main features of 5G network.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are conducted with the help of power-point presentations with explanations on the board. Lectures are available online in electronic form.Exercises
Solving numerical examples.Independent assignments
During the semester, projects from the course area are planned. More complex tasks would be solved, most often with the use of software tools. Each project would be handled by smaller group of students.Laboratory
Laboratory exercises are planned during the course. At the end of each exercise, the activity and understanding would be check.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||5 %||0 %||5 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||20 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||65 %|
|Exam: Oral||20 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- General information about communications, wireless communications, basic concepts - two-way transmission, multiple access, frequency, power. Historical development of wireless communications, services and generations of mobile systems.
- Antenna systems, electromagnetic wave attenuation in free space, receiver sensitivity, link budget.
- Mechanisms of EM wave propagation, reflection and transmission, scattering, diffraction, two-ray model, introduction to fading, Doppler effect, multipath propagation.
- Channel filter model, deterministic channel functions, channel impulse response, coherence bandwidth, Doppler dispersion, coherence time. Special cases of wireless channel. Narrowband and broadband systems.
- Fading. Diversity.
- The bit error rate in the communication channel. Wireless channel models.
- Equalization techniques.
- Midterm exam
- Cellular system basics. Capacity in cellular network, Handover.
- Fourth generation mobile systems (4G)
- MIMO System model; System capacity. MIMO - Example of realisation in LTE system
- Architectures of 4G/5G mobile networks, Protocol architectures of radio acess network (RAN) and core network in 4G/5G systems
- Quality of Service (QoS) in 4G/5G networks, Network Function Virtualization in 5G networks
- The concept of network slicing, Technologies of wireless interface in 5G networks
- Final exam