- Explain the basic features of a wireless channel and equalization techniques.
- Explain the main characteristics of mobile systems from different generations.
- Evaluate correctness of cellular planning.
- Explain the basics of MIMO technology.
- Recognize the main features of 5G network.
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are conducted with the help of power-point presentations with explanations on the board. Lectures are available online in electronic form.Exercises
Solving numerical examples.Independent assignments
During the semester, projects from the course area are planned. More complex tasks would be solved, most often with the use of software tools. Each project would be handled by smaller group of students.Laboratory
Laboratory exercises are planned during the course. At the end of each exercise, the activity and understanding would be check.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||6 %||0 %||0 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||8 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||26 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||20 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||60 %|
|Exam: Oral||40 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Technologies for public mobile networks: 2G, 3G, and 4G, Components of radio access network and core network
- Technical parameters of mobile network, Statistical description of the wireless channel (fading, Doppler spectra, temporal channel variations)
- Wireless channels characterization (narrowband and wideband channels, multipath propagation), Channel models and channel sounding
- Diversity types and methods of implementation, Selection diversity and error probability, MRC (Maximal-Ratio Combining), Purpose of interleaving; Methods of implementation
- Channel equalization in time and frequency domain; Modeling of equalizers, Linear equalizers; Linear transversal filters, Zero-Forcing (ZF) method of equalization, Minimum Mean Square Error (MMSE) method of equalization
- Decision Feedback Equalizers (DFE), Maximum Likelihood Sequence Estimation (MLSE); Viterbi algorithm, Examples of designs of equalizers in some systems (GSM, UMTS)
- Cellular system basics
- Midterm exam
- Capacity in cellular network, Handover
- MIMO System model; System capacity
- MIMO - Example of realisation in LTE system
- Architectures of 4G/5G mobile networks, Protocol architectures of radio acess network (RAN) and core network in 4G/5G systems
- Quality of Service (QoS) in 4G/5G networks, Network Function Virtualization in 5G networks
- The concept of network slicing, Technologies of wireless interface in 5G networks
- Final exam