Measurements in Communication Systems
Data is displayed for academic year: 2023./2024.
The basic measurement methods and instrumentation in communication systems are introduced with an emphasis on radio frequency and microwave measurements, propagation measurements and measurements of basic system parameters such as BER, EVM, constellation diagram, system throughput and similar. Particular emphasis of the course is on the practical work of students, which covers examples of measurements of basic parameters of circuits and systems in communications and electronics. Based on the theoretical and practical knowledge acquired, students will be able to measure all the basic measurement quantities that occur in everyday engineering practice in radio communications and electronics.
[FER3-HR] Audio Technologies and Electroacoustics - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Communication and Space Technologies - profileCore-elective courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Computational Modelling in Engineering - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Computer Engineering - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Computer Science - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Control Systems and Robotics - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Data Science - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Electrical Power Engineering - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Electric Machines, Drives and Automation - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Electronic and Computer Engineering - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Electronics - profileElective Courses (2. semester) Elective Courses of the Profile (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Information and Communication Engineering - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Network Science - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
[FER3-HR] Software Engineering and Information Systems - profileElective Courses (2. semester)
- Identify basic measurement quantities in the radio frequency and microwave areas
- Explain the structure of standard laboratory instruments (power meter, signal generator, scalar and vector network analyzer)
- Select the appropriate measurement method and appropriate measurement instrumentation for each fundamental measurement in RF and microwave range (power, frequency, scatter parameters, spectrum, noise factor, EM field, antenna gain)
- Evaluate measurement error and its impact on interpretation of measurement results
- Explain the basic principles of measurement in system-level communications
- Select appropriate measurement method and appropriate measuring instrument for determining constellation diagram, EVM diagram, BER, throughput
- Explain the basic principles of measuring propagation aspects in communication systems
- Choose the appropriate measurement method and appropriate measuring instrument for determining diversity, system delays, scattering
Forms of Teaching
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||20 %||50 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||20 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||40 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Basic measurement quantities in high-frequency and microwave bands. Laboratory sources of high-frequency and microwave signals. Measurement errors
- Power measurements. Calorimeter. Bolometer. Thermocouple. Diode detectors. Measurement of electromagnetic field strength. Basic field strength sensors. Sensitivity.
- Spectrum. Spectrum analyzer. Resolution bandwidth. Video bandwidth.
- Measurement of scattering parameters. Scalar and vector network analyzer. Calibration.
- Anechoic and semi-anechoic chamber. Reverberation chamber. Antenna measurements. Measurement of gain and radiation patterns. Near-field and far-field measurements.
- Measurement of noise figure and noise temperature. Y-factor method. Measurement with external mixer. Measurements of nonlinear effects. Nonlinear signal scattering.
- Propagation measurement system. Diversity measurements. Delay measurements.
- Midterm exam
- Constellation diagram. Error-vector magnitude measurements.
- Eye diagram measurements.
- BER testing.
- Network accessibility and retainability.
- Handover measurements.
- IP throughput measurements in 3G/4G mobile systems.
- Final exam
G. H. Bryant (1993.), Principles of Microwave Measurements (Materials, Circuits and Devices), The Institution of Engineering and Technology; Revised edition (June 30, 1993)
H. Arslan (2021.), Wireless Communication Signals: A Laboratory-based Approach, Wiley
B. P. Kumar (2015.), Communications System Laboratory, CRC Press
L0 English Level
26 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory
76 Very Good