Components of digital integrated circuits. Scaled MOS transistors. Short channel effects. Effect of parasitic regions. Velocity saturation effect. Speed limitations of transistors. Memory cells. Image sensors. MOS capacitance. Charge coupled devices (CCD). Active pixel CMOS sensors. Image sensor technology. Active matrix display devices. Thin film transistors (TFT). TFT display integration. Integrated circuit devices for communication circuits. Silicon and silicon-germanium (SiGe) bipolar transistors. Devices for low-power circuits. Silicon on insulator (SOI) technology and devices. Process integration techniques. System-on-a-chip technology. BiCMOS devices and circuits.
Introduction to semiconductor devices for microelectronic integrated circuits and their applications. Correlations between technological and electrical characteristics of semiconductor structures.
- define the rules of semiconductor technology development
- explain the physical principles of advanced MOS and bipolar transistors
- explain the scaling of MOS structures
- analyze short channel effects
- identify the limitations of advanced MOS and bipolar transistors
- explain the effect of technological parameters on electrical characteristics of electron devices
- compare the advanced MOS and bipolar structures
Forms of Teaching
By decision of the Faculty Council, in the academic year 2019/2020. the midterm exams are cancelled and the points assigned to that component are transferred to the final exam, unless the teachers have reassigned the points and the grading components differently. See the news for each course for information on knowledge rating.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||0 %||6 %||0 %||0 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||9 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||25 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction. Chip down-scaling.
- Process steps in microelectronic technology.
- CMOS technology.
- MOS capacitance. Band diagram. Modes of operation.
- MOS capacitance. C-V characteristics.
- Image sensors: CCD and active-pixel CMOS.
- Digital MOS transistors. Body effect.
- Short channel effects of MOS structures.
- Velocity saturation effect. Mobility degradation.
- Silicon on insulator (SOI) CMOS.
- CMOS characteristics optimization.
- Memory cells: DRAM and Flash.
- Bipolar transistors: realization and characteristics.
- Bipolar transistors: High-frequency characteristics. BiCMOS technology.
- Thin film transistors (TFT). TFT displays.
Electronics (profile)Specialization Course (2. semester)
Yuan Taur, Tak H. Ning (2009.), Fundamentals of Modern VLSI Devices, Cambridge University Press
Petar Biljanović (2001.), Poluvodički elektronički elementi, Školska knjiga
Sima Dimitrijev (2000.), Understanding Semiconductor Device, Oxford Press
Simon Sze, Kwok K. Ng (2007.), Physics of Semiconductor Devices, John Wiley & Sons
L1 English Level
0 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory
75 Very Good