The students will have a good understanding of the importance and application of metrology and measurement in the electrical engineering. They will have a good basic knowledge of metrology terminology, units, and the analysis of the measurement results, as well as a of different types of measuring instruments and measurement systems controlled by the computer, used in the methods of measurement of electrical quantities.
- identify different contributions to the uncertainty of measurement
- classify diferent types of measuring instruments
- apply measuring instruments on correct manner
- analyse methods of measurement of electric quantities
- develop computer-bysed measuring systems
- assess possible accuracy improvements
Forms of Teaching
Lectures with presentationsExercises
Will be a part of the lectures.Laboratory Work
Instead of lecturesExperiments
Whenever it is possible.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||15 %||0 %||15 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||25 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Fundamental terms of metrology. Measurand, influencing quantities and result of measurement.
- International System of Units (SI). Metrology infrastructure and traceability. Calibration of instruments.
- Least squares theory. Assessment of the uncertainty of measurement and expression of the results.
- Elements of measuring circuits. Laboratory measuring and regulation equipment.
- Basic analog measuring instruments. Principles of work, characteristics and applications.
- Basic digital measuring instruments. Principles of work, characteristics and applications.
- Measurement of dc and ac voltage and current. Measurement of resistance.
- Mid-term exam.
- Measurement of power and energy.
- Balanced and unbalanced measuring bridges.
- Grounding, shielding and interference protection.
- Computer based measurements. Virtual and distributed measuring systems.
- Communication protocols connecting computer and instruments.
- Software for acquisition and analysis of results of measurement.
- Final exam.