The course gives a deep understanding of the application of instruments with A/D converters and programmable devices and interfaces. The students will have a theoretical knowledge to analyse the possibilities and restrictions of the use of modern measuring instruments, and the extensive knowledge in the realisation of the measuring systems. They will be able to design and develop such systems, to analyse the obtained results, and to implement a different programming techniques. Describes also elements of measuring techniques for measurements of low voltages and currents, and impedances, and their applications.
- Describe needed characteristics of digital instruments for particular applications
- Classify different types of A/D converters
- Apply different interfaces controlled by the computer
- Describe possibilities and restrictions of the use of modern measuring instruments and systems
- Develop new automated methods of measurement
- Conclude about possible accuracy improvement for particular measurements
Forms of Teaching
Lectures with presentations and examplesExams
Written exam, homework, seminarsLaboratory Work
Laboratory experiments during lecturesExperiments
Whenever it is possible.Experimental Exercises
Whenever it is possible.Programming Exercises
Lab Windows/CVI LabVIEW
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||25 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||20 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||25 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||40 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Fundamentals of measurements. Analogue and digital instruments: application and restrictions. Components of the measuring system: power supplies and cables.
- Instruments with A/D converters. Quantisation principles. Transfer function and quantisation errors.
- Dual slope analogue to digital converters, voltage to frequency converters, sigma-delta converters.
- Parameters of the converters, restrictions and uncertainty in measurement. Digital to analogue converters: transfer function and codes, parameters.
- Digital instruments (multimeters, multichannel, precise, electrometers): parameters and interpretation of the results.
- Interfaces for parallel transmission: GPIB (IEEE-488), VMEbus/VXIbus. Computer-based instruments. Realisation of the virtual and graphic user interfaces.
- Interface control and programme. Drivers for measuring instruments (SCPI, IVI, VISA). TCP/IP comunication. Standardisation of the interface.
- Mid-exam term.
- Accuracy and influencing quantities. Intererence and shielding. Noise and its cancellation.
- Measurement of low dc voltage and current. TEMS. Applications.
- Measurement of low and high impedances. Applications.
- Resistivity measurement of (semi)conductive materials. Measurement of other characteristics of materials, and applications.
- Laboratory exercise 1.
- Laboratory exercise 2.
- Final exam.