Low-voltage Power Systems
The objectives of the course are to give the students the knowledge about low voltage power systems. Upon the completition of the course, students will be qualified to do following: 1.planning and design of low voltage power systems; 2. project management for low voltage power systems
- identify basic components of medium and low voltage installations
- employ software solutions for modelling LV networks and calculation of protective device selectivity
- choose adequate equipment for specific implementations in LV network
- explain the role of individual components in LV distribution systems
- estimate usefulness of individual protective devices in LV networks
- synthesize theoretical knowledge of designing LV networks with software tools
Forms of Teaching
Guest lecturers at the beginning of each learning cycles (3 in one semester)Exams
Performed on-line, using the Moodle system, in a controlled computer lab.Consultations
Via on-line forums, e-mail and other electronic media, and also in person with lecturers.Structural Exercises
Work in DOC2 software, independent creation of LV installation.E-learning
Use of e-learning and e-transfer of knowledge throughout the course, Moodle platform.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Quizzes||50 %||20 %||50 %||20 %|
|Class participation||0 %||5 %||0 %||5 %|
|Seminar/Project||50 %||15 %||50 %||15 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||40 %||40 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||60 %||20 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||60 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- General rules of electrical installation design.
- Connection to the MV utility distribution network. Connection to the LV utility distribution network.
- MV & LV architecture selection guide.
- LV Distribution.
- Protection against electric shocks.
- Knowledge exam 1
- Sizing and protection of conductors. LV switchgear: functions & selection.
- Protection against voltage surges in LV.
- Power factor correction and harmonic filtering.
- Using tools for designing LV networks.
- Characteristics of particular sources and loads.
- Residential and other special locations.
- Harmonic management.
- Finishing the project task
- Final knowledge exam