Laboratory of Wireless Technologies 1
Practical knowledge about video processing methods with applications in communication systems. Ability to choose and implement suitable video processing algorithms for meeting specific demands in given communication system. Understanding the phenomena and the restrictions related to the transmission of information with an optical signal and by using an opto-electrical transformation. Practical knowledge about about passive and active microwave circuits, microwave CAD software and test equipment. Practical skills to plan, design, implement, analyze, maintain and modify video and optical communication systems.
- explain video processing methods with applications in communication systems
- combine basic image and video compression techniques and create coder
- select parameters of communication system to provide robust and spectrum efficient video signal transmission
- identify characteristics of lasers, optical fibers, optical amplifiers and photo-detectors
- analyze characteristics of optical link
- select parameters of optical communication system to provide efficient signal transmission
- explain operating principles of microwave measurement equipment (power meter, frequency counter, spectrum analyzer, network analyzer)
- apply microwave measurement equipment to characterize microwave circuits
Forms of Teaching
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||100 %||0 %||0 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Video signal characteristics. Component and composite video signals.
- Video signal analog to digital convesion. Video signal sampling formats.
- Statistical and frequency image properties. MPEG-2 and H.264/AVC video coding.
- Image compression using discrete wavelet transform (DWT).
- Simulation model for the evaluation of DVB-T System parameters.
- Measurements of laser and photo-detector characteristics.
- Measurements of optical fiber characteristics. Measurement of optical fiber link using OTDR - optical time-domain reflectometer. Connecting fibers using splicing technique.
- Optical fiber amplifier characteristics (EDFA).
- Optical communication systems based on wavelength multiplexing.
- Impedance measurement using waveguide hybrid T-junction.
- Gunn oscillator, reflection amplifier.
- Injection-locking of a microwave oscillator.
- Measurement of scattering parameters of a microwave transistor.
- Measurement of microstrip transmission line.
- Optical communication systems design. Video communication systems design.