Cognitive Communication Networks
Cognitive communication networks: terminology, definitions and requirements. Concepts and frameworks for cognitive networks. Knowledge representation in communication networks. Cognitive network architectures and use cases. Control plane of communication networks. Autonomous management of communication networks. Self-aware and self-organizing communication networks. Cognitive optical switching technologies. Cognitive optical networks. Software-defined networking (SDN) and use cases for cognitive SDN. Fifth generation communication networks and cognitive management.
- Explain basic features and architectures of cognitive communication networks.
- Distinguish and describe techniques for knowledge representation in communication networks.
- Describe basic operation and protocols of the control plane in communication networks.
- Explain basic features of autonomous management for communication networks.
- Describe architecture and basic operation of cognitive optical networks.
- Explain concepts and technologies of software-defined networking.
- Describe basic features of technologies for implementation of cognitive communication networks.
Forms of Teaching
Presentation of the selected content.Exams
Written and oral exam.Laboratory Work
Weekly time slot and per the appointment, with a prior announcement.Seminars
Standalone treatment of the chosen topics.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||20 %||15 %||20 %||15 %|
|Class participation||0 %||5 %||0 %||5 %|
|Seminar/Project||40 %||15 %||40 %||15 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||25 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||55 %|
|Exam: Oral||10 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Cognitive communication networks: terminology, definitions and requirements.
- Fundamental concepts and frameworks for cognitive networks, cross-layer protocol interaction.
- Knowledge representation: techniques and applications in communication networks.
- Cognitive network architectures, use cases for wired and wireless networks.
- Control plane of communication networks: technologies and protocols.
- Autonomous management of communication networks: basic features and application examples.
- Self-aware and self-organizing communication networks.
- Mid-term exam.
- Cognitive optical switching technologies.
- Optical transport network (OTN): terminology, concepts and network architecture.
- Cognitive optical networks.
- Software-defined networking (SDN): concepts, architecture and technologies.
- Use cases for cognitive SDN: inter data centre networking, OTN.
- Fifth generation communication networks: requirements, virtualization, cognitive management.
- Final exam.
[FER2-HR] Telecommunication and Informatics - profileSpecialization Course (2. semester)
P. Goransson, C. Black, T. Culver (2016.), Software Defined Networks - A Comprehensive Approach, Morgan Kaufmann
J. L. Mauri, K. Z. Ghafoor, D. B. Rawat, J. M. A. Perez (2014.), Cognitive Networks - Applications and Deployments, CRC Press
R. Ramaswami, K. Sivarajan, G. Sasaki (2009.), Optical Networks - A Practical Perspective, Morgan Kaufmann
Q. H. Mahmoud (2007.), Cognitive Networks - Towards Self-Aware Networks, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
L3 English Level
0 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory
75 Very Good