Internet of Things
- Explain the architecture and characteristics of the Internet of Things.
- Distinguish networking technologies supporting Internet of Things.
- Explain communication protocols relevant to Internet of Things.
- Explain the modes of operation of IoT platforms and network technologies adequate for implementing IoT services.
- Identify security threats and use security mechanisms.
- Evaluate communication solutions adequate for device networking.
- Apply acquired knowledge to connect devices to the Internet.
- Apply acquired knowledge to implement IoT solutions for various application areas.
Forms of Teaching
The classes are organized in two blocks: The first block comprises 7 classes and a midterm exam, while the second comprises 6 classes and a final exam. this makes in total 15 weeks with 2 hours per week.Exams
Midterm exam (week 8) and final exam (week 15).Laboratory Work
Two lab exercises are given, each lasts for 3 hoursConsultations
Individual student consultations are organized if needed.Programming Exercises
Student teams work on a chosen student project.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||20 %||15 %||20 %||15 %|
|Class participation||0 %||5 %||0 %||5 %|
|Seminar/Project||40 %||20 %||40 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||60 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Internet of Things basics: basic terms, architecture and application areas.
- Things and devices in IoT environments (physical layer): sensors, actuators, gateways, M2M communication.
- Communication protocols for device communication (data link layer): IEEE 802.15.4, 802.11ah, ZigBee.
- Communication protocols for device communication (data link layer): LoRaWAN, LTE-M, NB-IoT.
- Protocols for network layer optimization: 6LoWPAN, 6TiSCH.
- Application layer: MQTT, CoAP, HTTP.
- Security aspects, device management.
- Midterm exam.
- Standards: standardization bodies and referent architectures.
- IoT platforms: characteristics, components, architecture, cloud-based examples
- IoT platforms and usage of edge resources, platform examples
- Interoperability of IoT platforms: symbIoTe middleware
- IoT applications: real-time services, smart city, smart home and office
- Presentation of student solutions developed in the IoTLab@FER laboratory
- Final exam