High Voltage Engineering
Basic knowledge about the technology of insulating materials, testing procedures and modern methods of insulating systems on-line monitoring .
- name and distinguish of power system elements which are used in HV transmission of electrical energy
- define and describe the way of generation and measurement of HV
- classify and give example of HV insulation
- describe differenf proceses which lead to HV insulation breakdown
- define insulation coordination and reproduce nominal and testing voltages for the certain insulation levels
- identify and classify overvoltages in power system
- describe isue and propagation of travelling waves
Forms of Teaching
The course is 3 hours per week. Classes are performing using presentations and written materials available to students.Exercises
Exercise will be held during the semester in total duration of 26 hours in semester.Experiments
The experiments are held during of some lectures.Consultations
Consultations are held once a week.E-learning
Homework is carried out using the Moodle system.Internship visits
During the course a visit to transformers factories is organized.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||0 %||8 %||0 %||8 %|
|Class participation||0 %||2 %||0 %||2 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||40 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||40 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||30 %|
|Exam: Written||60 %||45 %|
|Exam: Oral||45 %|
To access the oral part of final examination is necessary to collect 42 points from homework, mid-term exam and the written part of the final exam.
Week by Week Schedule
- Basic definitions. HV generation. Testing transformers for the high alternating voltages, cascade configuration. HV measurements. Voltage dividers, measuring transformers and sphere gaps. The applicability of the high-voltage (HV) in the industry and in elecric power transmission.
- Electrical field - analytical methods for electrical field problem solving. Ionization and deionization processes in gases. Effects of the AC and impulse corona.
- Materials in the electrical field. Dielectric losses and polarization. High voltage live woking.
- Numerical methods for electrical field problem solving. Electricomagnetic field in the proximity of the HV transmission lines and substations.
- Solid dielectrics. Electrical, thermal and electromechanical breakdown of the solid dielectrics. Partial discharges. Insulating liquids, electrical breakdown theory. Dielectric strength of the liquid dielectrics.
- Gases as insulating material. Electrical breakdown. Electrical arc in the circuit breakers, arc characteristics and arc interruption.
- Preparation for exam.
- Mid-term exam.
- Pashen law. Breakdown in homogenous and nonhomogenous electric field.
- Generation of the high direct voltages, electrostatic generator. Generation of the impulse voltages, impulse generator. Tesla transformer.
- Insulation coordination of the HV systems. Temporary overvoltages.
- Slow-front overvoltages. Phisical base of lightning.
- Lightning location system. Electro-geometric model. Gas insulatet swichgare.
- Surge arresters.
- Travelling waves. Preparation for exam.