Fundamentals of Wireless Systems
- Describe the types, applications and frequency bands of wireless systems
- Explain the basic components of a wireless systems and their operating principles
- Calculate the parameters of the wireless link
- Explain the impact of noise on wireless systems
- Relate the parameters of propagation models with the parameters of wireless system
- Calculate gain, noise figure and third order intercept point of a wireless receiver
- Compare different architectures of wireless receivers
Forms of Teaching
Week by Week Schedule
- Radio frequency regulation; Spectrum management.
- Cognitive radio; Broadcast systems (digital audio and video broadcasting); Wireless sensor networks.
- Propagation mechanisms (transmission, reflection, diffraction, scattering); Path loss; Friis equation.
- Noise types; Noise of electronic components; White noise.
- Equivalent noise temperature; Noise figure; Noise temperature and noise figure of cascaded components.
- Antenna input impedance; Antenna efficiency; Radiation pattern; Directivity; Gain; Effective aperture; Polarization.
- Antenna noise temperature.
- Midterm exam.
- Harmonic components and intermodulation products; Compression point; Third order intercept point; Passive intermodulation.
- Principle of operation, specifications; Up-conversion and down-conversion; Rejection of image frequency; RF-LO isolation.
- Minimum detectable signal; Receiver sensitivity.
- Dynamic range; Selection of intermediate frequency; Spurious-free range.
- Receiver architectures; Superheterodyne receiver; Receiver noise figure.
- Standards and regulation; Electromagnetic smog; Dosimetric quantities in different frequency ranges; Basic restrictions and reference levels; Protection from exposure to electromagnetic fields.
- Final exam.
Computing (study)Elective Courses (6. semester)
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (study)Elective Courses (6. semester)
Wireless Technologies (profile)Theoretical Course (2. semester)
(.), Bonefačić, D. (2016) RF sustavi - intena skripta, FER, Zagreb,
(.), Zentner, E. (2001). Antene i radiosustavi, Graphis, Zagreb,
(.), Bartolić, J. (2011). Mikrovalna elektronika, Graphis, Zagreb,
(.), Modlic, B.; Bartolić, J. (1995) Miješanje, mješala i sintetizatori frekvencije, Školska knjiga, Zagreb,
(.), Pozar, D.M. (2000). Microwave and RF Design of Wireless Systems, J. Wiley ,
(.), Egan, W.F . (2003). Practical RF System Design, J. Wiley-IEEE Press,
L3 English Level
10 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory