Fundamentals of Wireless Systems
- Describe the types, applications and frequency bands of wireless systems
- Explain the basic components of a wireless systems and their operating principles
- Calculate the parameters of the wireless link
- Explain the impact of noise on wireless systems
- Relate the parameters of propagation models with the parameters of wireless system
- Calculate gain, noise figure and third order intercept point of a wireless receiver
- Compare different architectures of wireless receivers
Forms of Teaching
Week by Week Schedule
- Radio frequency regulation; Spectrum management.
- Cognitive radio; Broadcast systems (digital audio and video broadcasting); Wireless sensor networks.
- Propagation mechanisms (transmission, reflection, diffraction, scattering); Path loss; Friis equation.
- Noise types; Noise of electronic components; White noise.
- Equivalent noise temperature; Noise figure; Noise temperature and noise figure of cascaded components.
- Antenna input impedance; Antenna efficiency; Radiation pattern; Directivity; Gain; Effective aperture; Polarization.
- Antenna noise temperature.
- Midterm exam.
- Harmonic components and intermodulation products; Compression point; Third order intercept point; Passive intermodulation.
- Principle of operation, specifications; Up-conversion and down-conversion; Rejection of image frequency; RF-LO isolation.
- Minimum detectable signal; Receiver sensitivity.
- Dynamic range; Selection of intermediate frequency; Spurious-free range.
- Receiver architectures; Superheterodyne receiver; Receiver noise figure.
- Standards and regulation; Electromagnetic smog; Dosimetric quantities in different frequency ranges; Basic restrictions and reference levels; Protection from exposure to electromagnetic fields.
- Final exam.
Computing (study)Elective Courses (6. semester)
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (study)Elective Courses (6. semester)
Communication and Space Technologies (profile)Elective Courses (2. semester)
Wireless Technologies (profile)Theoretical Course (2. semester)
(.), Bonefačić, D. (2016) RF sustavi - intena skripta, FER, Zagreb,
(.), Zentner, E. (2001). Antene i radiosustavi, Graphis, Zagreb,
(.), Bartolić, J. (2011). Mikrovalna elektronika, Graphis, Zagreb,
(.), Modlic, B.; Bartolić, J. (1995) Miješanje, mješala i sintetizatori frekvencije, Školska knjiga, Zagreb,
(.), Pozar, D.M. (2000). Microwave and RF Design of Wireless Systems, J. Wiley ,
(.), Egan, W.F . (2003). Practical RF System Design, J. Wiley-IEEE Press,
L3 English Level
10 Laboratory exercises
0 Project laboratory