Fundamentals of Signal Processing
- Classify signaly and systems by type
- Explain the importance of signal processing in computing, electronics, control engineering and telecommunications
- State and explain the Nyquist-Shannon sampling theorem
- Analyze signals using their spectrum
- Analyze systems using theirs transfer function and frequency response
- Explain the equivalence between time continuous and time discrete systems
- Explain signal filtration
- Design a basic digital filter using a computer
- Explain what the fast Fourier transform is and list its applications
Forms of Teaching
Lectures are held once weekly in a three hour session.Exercises
Recitations are held ten times during the semester in one hours sessions.Laboratory
Laboratory excersises are held six times during the semester in three hours sessions.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||15 %||50 %||15 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||5 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||20 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||35 %|
Mandatory prerequisites for oral exams are achieving at least 50% of points on midterm and final exam combined, or on the written part of a regular exam. A minimum of 5 points is required to pass the final oral exam. A minimum of 15 points is required to pass the regular oral exam.
Week by Week Schedule
- Definition of signals and systems; Classification of signals and systems; Signals and systems parameters; Modeling of signals and systems; Continuos time Fourier series (CTFS); Continuos time Fourier transform (CTFT); Discrete time Fourier series (DTFS); Discrete time Fourier transform (DTFT).
- Nyquist frequency; Aliasing in time and frequency domain; Interpolation; Signal dimensionality.
- Symmetric and periodic signal extension; Discrete cosine transform (DCT): 4 variants.
- Impulse response of the LTI systems; Convolution sum and integral; Linear differential and difference systems.
- Frequency response; Definition, similarities to Laplace transform; Properties; Transfer function; Use in solving LTI systems response.
- Problem definition.
- Advantages and drawbacks.
- Midterm exam.
- Types and structures.
- Linear, periodic and circular convolution.
- Window based design; Parks Mcclellan and Remez.
- Types and structures.
- Discrete Fourier transform (DFT); Cooley-Tukey algorithm; Radix-2 case; Butterfly structure; Data reordering; Bit reversal; In-place algorithm.
- Modified DCT and DCT filterbanks; Scalar and vector quantization.
- Final exam.