Fundamentals of Electrical Drives
The knowledge of properties and characteristics of electrical drives relevant for their application is acquired.
- describe general structure of an electrical drive system
- define basic electromechanical terms
- discuss basic motor characteristic for electrical drive
- predict drive behaviour in typical applications
- prepare drives parameters acording demands
- select motor for electrical drive
Forms of Teaching
Two cycles; 6+5 lecturesExams
Two exercises.Laboratory Work
Threee cycles in groups in department laboratory. One of them can be changed with praxis visit.Internship visits
Electrical drives in industrial plant.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||60 %||20 %||60 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||20 %||25 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||20 %||25 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||30 %|
|Exam: Written||40 %||30 %|
|Exam: Oral||50 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- General structure of an electrical drive system. Concepts, definitions, motion equations. Classifications and characteristics of drives.
- Drives in steady state, characteristics of working mechanisms, electrical motor characteristics.
- Electrical drives with DC motors, basic characteristics.
- Electrical drives with DC motors, starting, breaking, rotational speed control. Traction applications.
- Electrical drives with induction motors, basic characteristics.
- Electrical drives with induction motors. Starting, breaking, reversing. Slip ring motor. Speed control. Industry application.
- Electrical drives with synchronous motors. Synchronous motors with classical excitation system and permanent magnet starting. Speed control.
- Electrical drive dynamic basics. Mechanical transients and power losses. Cutting losses.
- Electrical drive with DC, induction and synchronous motors dynamics.
- Electrical motor selection for defined electrical drive. Types of typical loads according to IEC 60034-1, basics of motor heating and cooling.
- Electrical drives protection, overload and grid disturbances influence, environmental influence. Drives in explosive environment. ATEX standards. Typical application of electrical drives.
- Final exam