Electromagnetic Transients and Electromagnetic Compatibility
Qualifying for analysis of the transients in basic configurations, measurements and recording of the electrical appearances, introduction with the EM influences and protection measures of the EMC.
- define and classify the types of transients in electric power system
- describe various methods for solving transients
- apply acquired theoretical knowledge in concrete examples, and calculate the transients in power system by using a software package for calculation of electromagnetic transients, EMTP-ATP
- define electromagnetic compatibility and specify the ways of transmission interference
- analyze problems related to electromagnetic compatibility
- explain the problems of electromagnetic compatibility in SF6 substations
- calculate the electric and magnetic field and explain the procedure for their measurement
- describe and explain the overvoltage protection in HV and LV systems
Forms of Teaching
A total of 30 hours (2 hours per week).Exams
- 1 mid-term exam + final exam - homeworkLaboratory Work
Laboratory exercises consist of two parts: - use of software package for calculation of electromagnetic transients EMTP-ATP (10 hours), - measurements in high voltage laboratory (5 hours).Consultations
Consultations are held every day from 12 am - 13 pm at the department of high voltage and power systems.Programming Exercises
Independent work in a software package for calculation of electromagnetic transients, EMTP-ATP.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||0 %||10 %||0 %||10 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||45 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||45 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||90 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- - Sources of transients - Analytical solving of transients in electrical networks. - Laplace transform
- - Oscillatory circuit - Parallel and series resonance - Numerical solving of transients in electrical networks - Theory of traveling waves
- - Reflection and refraction of traveling waves - Bewley lattice diagram
- - Petersen rule - The passage of travelling wave through the inductor - The passage of travelling wave nearby capacitor
- - Analysis of travelling waves entering substation - Travelling waves with steep front entering oscillatory circuit.
- - Overvoltage and overcurrent protection of the high voltage (HV) and low voltage (LV) systems - Protection equipment of the HV and LV systems, operating principles and design - Laboratory measurements on surge arrester
- - A method for calculation of transient phenomena in the Electromagnetic Transients Program EMTP-ATP.
- Mid-term exams week.
- Mid-term exams week.
- - Transients as a source of the electromagnetic disturbances. EMC in the HV and LV systems. Basic concepts. - Mechanisms of the disturbance transmission between source and the object. Capacitive and inductive influences on the LV equipment in the HV substation. - Tesla transformer as a source of electromagnetic disturbances - laboratory measurements.
- - Lightning protection and impulse earthing systems in the substations. - Recommendations for the reduction of transient overvoltages in secondary circuits of HV switchgears. - Acting of electromagnetic interferences on electric circuits, systems, equipment, and living organisms.
- - Survey of EMC standards and regulations. - Substation project with regard of EMC protective concept. Practical examples.
- - Theory and calculation of magnetic field - practical examples. - Measurement of magnetic induction in HV laboratory.
- - Theory and calculation of electric field - practical examples. - Measurement of electric field in HV laboratory.
- - Preparation for final exam.