Electronic Systems Design
Electronic equipment and systems design principles. Printed circuit board (PCB) fabrication and component assembly technologies. Technical documentation. Regulations and standards. Board level design: PCB design rules, using computer aided design tools, mechanical design, preparation of manufacturing documentation. Design recommendations for circuits and equipment with special requirements. Characteristics of power supplies for electronic equipment and systems. Heat transfer: natural and forced convection, heatsink design. Protection and interference. Overcurrent and overvoltage protection. Electromagnetic compatibility. Electronic equipment development and life cycle. Life-cycle and reliability.
- Describe process of electronic device development and its life cycle.
- Describe production processes of electronic devices.
- Design electronic device on a printed circuit board level by using computer programs.
- Choose power supply for electronic device.
- Recognize causes of electromagnetic compatibility problems in electronic devices and understand solutions to mitigate them.
- Calculate parameters and choose components for thermal management in electronic device.
- Analyze compliance of electronic device design with legal requirements for placing electronic device on the market.
- Generate production documentation of electronic device.
Forms of Teaching
-Seminars and workshops
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||50 %||15 %||50 %||15 %|
|Seminar/Project||43 %||35 %||43 %||35 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||30 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||20 %|
|Exam: Oral||30 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Electrical design, electro-mechanical design, mechanical design, thermal design, rapid prototyping.
- Electrical schematic design.
- Printed circuit boards fabrication technologies, surface mount technologies, manufacturing, testing & maintenance.
- Printed circuit board design. Technical documentation.
- Batteries, commercially available power supplies.
- Rectifiers, regulators.
- Switch mode power supplies.
- Midterm exam.
- Grounding, shielding.
- Noise reduction, electrostatic discharge, overvoltage and overcurrent protection.
- Printed circuit board design - advanced methods.
- Electromagnetic compatibility.
- Mechanisms of heat transfer, heatsink design, fans and forced air cooling.
- Reliability modeling, maintenance and life cycle costs, redundancy, fault tolerance, availability.
- Final exam.
Computing (study)Elective Courses (6. semester)
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology (study)Elective Courses (6. semester)
R. Magjarević, Z. Stare, M. Cifrek, H. Džapo, M. Ivančić, I. Lacković (2009.), Projektiranje tiskanih veza, Sveučilište u Zagrebu Fakultet elektrotehnike i računarstva
H. Džapo, Ž. Lučev Vasić (2015.), Računalom podržano projektiranje elektroničkih uređaja, upute za laboratorijske vježbe, Sveučilište u Zagrebu Fakultet elektrotehnike i računarstva
Kim R. Fowler (1996.), Electronic Instrument Design, Oxford University Press
Tim Williams (2013.), The Circuit Designer’s Companion, Elsevier
Henry W. Ott (1988.), Noise reduction techniques in electronic systems, Wiley-Interscience
Eric Bogatin (2009.), Signal and Power Integrity - Simplified, Pearson Education
L1 English Level
15 Laboratory exercises
80 Very Good