Embedded System Design
Knowledge in design of embedded systems and their implementation tailored for specific applications. The curiculum gives the knowledge for using 32-bit microcontrollers and digital signal processors.
- develop embedded computer system based on 32-bit microcontroller
- apply tools for electromechanic and funckional debugging and testing of embedded computer systems
- analyze library types and linking models
- develop target dependent software which uses retargeting and semihosting calls
- apply built-in peripherals for communication between microcontroller and environment
- recognize advantages of digital signal processors for applications in embedded systems
- apply specific DSP execution units for real-time signal processing
Forms of Teaching
2 hours once every weekExams
midterm exam and final examLaboratory Work
4 times in semesterConsultations
ones in semester
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||20 %||0 %||20 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||35 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||35 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||10 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||70 %|
|Exam: Oral||10 %|
The pass is acquired if minimum 50% is gained of the total available score on the written part of the exams (midterm and final).
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction. Overview of 32-bit microcontrollers. Architecture of typical 32-bit procesor core. Programming model.
- Case study of typical 32-bit microcontroller. Memory model, internal buses, built-in peripherals, system controller.
- Design of computing system. Electrical connection of microcontroller. External circuitry. Case study of embedded computer system.
- Electromechanic integration of embedded computer systems. Functional debugging of hardware. Hardware and software development tools. Basic initialization of microcontroller.
- Built-in peripherals. Simple program. External interrupt sources and their handling. Development of interrupt handers in C.
- Environment for software development. Libraries. Linking models. Functions which works with peripherals - retargeting of system calls.
- Internal interrupt sources and their handling. Software iterrupt. Functions and calling conventions. Functions which works with peripherals - semihosting.
- Midterm exam.
- Case study - semihosting agent. Overview of tools for debugging and testing of computer systems. Boundary-scan architecture.
- Debug and testing circuitry built in microcontrollers. Communication interfaces: SPI, TWI, SPI, etc.
- State of the art in controllers, processors and digital signal processors (DSP); features, advantages and disadvantages; applications in embedded systems.
- DSP architecture, arithmetic-logic units and instructions for digital signal processing, memory architecture for data intensive tasks.
- Implementation of digital signal processing algorithms on controllers and DSP processors, complexity and performance analysis, system requirements. Optimization of implementation, performance optimization, power optimization, technologies for system implementation.
- Connection of a DSP processor to a general-purpose processor, host-port, shared memory, FIFO memory, serial buses, synchronization. Special operating regimes, autonomous power supply, clock management, systems with high reliability.
- Final exam.