Electric Power System Operation and Planning
Understanding of electric power operation. The knowledge about the important functions and issues involved in different activities associated with power system operation and planning.
- describe exploitation characteristics of electric power system
- define and describe electric power system states
- identify electric power system real time control function
- generate system load curve (piece-wise linear approximations)
- recognize ancillary services in the system
- predict future system load by using independent methods
- calculate transmission capacities of interconnected lines
- plan of hydro-thermo scheduling in the system
Forms of Teaching
Two hours weekly.Exams
Continuously: one writing exam, final exam (writing and oral examination) and three short tests. Classical Exam: writing and oral examination at the end of semester. Results of three short tests are included.Exercises
One hour per week.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||0 %||9 %||0 %||9 %|
|Quizzes||0 %||6 %||0 %||6 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||30 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||25 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||60 %|
|Exam: Oral||25 %|
Points of Homeworks and Short tests will be admit in the classical exam.
Week by Week Schedule
- Exploitation characteristics of electric power system. Operational system states (normal, transient, emergency, critical, restorative). Efficiency operation of electric power system. Electric power quality (insuring constant voltage, frequency and wave forms). Secure operation of electric power system.
- Daily electric power system load curve. Daily electric power system load curve division. System load curve approximation. Load curves: weekly, monthly and annually.
- System operation planning (daily, monthly and annually). Operation preparation. Real time control. Analysis and checking of realized system operation. Periodical reports. System disturbances and failures analysis. System operator reaction and procedures analysis.
- Control functions. Data acquisition and recording. System topology control. System limitation and alarms control. Frequency and active power control. Voltage and reactive power control. Operational statistic.
- Analytical functions for system operation planning. Load Forecasting (parable method, second order polynomial method, xpotentially method, logarithm parable method, Gompertz method, logistic method, empiric equation).
- Maintenance scheduling. Unit scheduling. Midterm unit commitment (based on producers requirements).
- Load following. Energy imbalance. System reserve (ready-import, spinning, stand by quick start, stand by slow start). System reserve calculation.
- Interconnection. Power and energy exchange between systems. Basic facts about UCTE system.
- System island operation.
- Electric power system secure operations. Operational system states (normal, transient, emergency, critical, restorative). Consumption limitations. Operational limitations. Secure limitations.
- Causes of system blackout. Methods and procedures during system restoration. Requirements on power plants.
- Analysis of recently system blackouts.
- Exploitation project studies. Off line investigations.
- Grid code.
- Basic data about Croatian electric power systems.