Energy Management and Energy Efficiency
Current and future global energy consumption, energy stock and energy sector in Croatia. Energy systems of final consumers and strategy of energy management in industry and buildings. Energy management program in industry and building. Methodology and applied tools of energy management programs (energy analysis, energy costs centres, energy efficiency indicators). Information and motivation. Economy of energy efficiency projects (cost benefit calculation, risk assessment, investment, practical exercises). Legislative framework for regulation of energy services. Regulation models. Areas of regulation. Regulation of prices, investments, technical standards and quality of services. Methodologies for determination of tariff models. Access to transmission and distribution systems.
- explain and recognize about production of energy sources and consumption of energy in the world and in Croatia
- explain principles of energy and environmental management
- apply and analyze methodology of energy management in industry
- conclude and explain policy of energy efficiency in EU and recommendations for energy efficiency policy and what is legal environment of energy efficiency in Croatia
- explain barriers for implementation of energy efficiency measures
- analyze relationship between energy use and production volume
- analyze and evaluate consumption and recommend energy efficiency measures for electricity systems (tariffs, consumption of reactive power, lighting, motors)
- evaluate consumption and recommend energy efficiency measures for energy systems in industry: pumps, fans, compressed air, fuels, combustion and boilers, steams system
Forms of Teaching
Course lectures are organized through 2 study cycles. First cycle consists of 7 weeks of lectures and mid-term exam. Second cycle consists of 6 weeks of lectures and final exam. Lectures are held through total of 15 weeks with weekly load of 2 hours.Exams
Examination is performed in two parts: in eighth week mid-term exam and in fifteenth week the final exam. Exams are written and consist of multiple choice questions, essay questions and exercises.Exercises
Calculations of energy efficiency components of the energy system in the industry.Consultations
Consultation acording to the needs of students.Structural Exercises
Calculations of energy efficiency for selected component of the energy system in the industry.Other Forms of Group and Self Study
Homework tasks.Internship visits
A visit to the energy station at thefactory or large commercial building.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||60 %||8 %||0 %||0 %|
|Class participation||0 %||6 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||40 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||32 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||14 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||80 %|
|Exam: Oral||20 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Assessment of current and potential future energy systems, covering resources, extraction, conversion, and end-use, with emphasis on meeting regional and global energy needs in the 21st century in a sustainable manner. Energy situation in the world and in Croatia. Energy resources characteristics (coal, natural gas, oil, nuclear fuel and renewable sources). Current and future global energy consumption, energy stock and energy sector in Croatia. Power system in Croatia: current status and history. Energy and well-being. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency: electricity I (reactive energy and peak load).
- Energy systems of final consumers and strategy of energy management in industry and buildings Energy resources, energy transformations and direct consumption of energy (efficient usage of energy in industry and buildings). Possibilities for improvements in energy efficiency and possibilities for financing of energy efficiency programs. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: Electricity II (peak load).
- Methodology and applied tools of energy management programs (energy analysis, energy costs centers, energy efficiency indicators). Information and motivation. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: Electricity III (lighting).
- Technical and human components of energy management programs. Principles for implementation of energy management and environment protection programs, motivation, leadership and team work models. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency: electricity IV (electric motors).
- Recommendations for successful implementation of energy management programme in industry. Strategic Approach to Energy and Environmental Management; Basic Principles of Energy Efficiency Organization of energy management programme. Energy efficiency in legislative framework. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: Pumps.
- Deregulation and electricity market. Energy trading on the liberalized energy market, models of energy trading, roles of specified subjects on energy market. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: Fans.
- Electricity end use and rationale consumption of electricity. Electric Motors and Drives (Pumps, Fans, Air Compressors); Lighting; Electrical Demand and Power Factor; Control Systems; Transformers and Capacitors; Power Quality. Reduction of electricity costs. Demand side management and its value. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency: fuel and combustion.
- Energy systems in industry I. Steam and Condensate System. Production of heat. Efficient use of Compressed Air Systems. Efficient use of Ventilation Systems. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: boilers, steam distribution.
- Energy systems in industry II: Boiler systems – Combustion and Efficient operation of boiler house, Flue/Exhaust Gas Recuperation, Waste Heat recovery and cost estimations, energy management of water supply systems. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: compressed air.
- Energy management program in industry. General Philosophy of Energy Efficiency. Monitoring and Targeting Data acquisition and metering Energy questionnaire and Data analysis. Energy project planning and Company Policy. Reporting and project evaluation of energy efficiency and conservation measures and company plan. Follow up energy efficiency programs after implementation. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency measures: industrial thermal insulation.
- Energy Managements in Buildings: Air Conditioning, Ventilation, Control of HVAC Systems, Heating in buildings Thermal Insulation, Energy feasibility study in buildings. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency: energy efficiency in buildings I (technical regulations).
- Heat transfer in thermal devices and industrial heat isolation. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency: Energy Efficiency in Buildings II (thermal insulation).
- Legal environment for energy efficiency in Croatia and EU. Exercises: calculation of energy efficiency: Energy Efficiency in Buildings III (heating systems).