- distinguish measurement methods of electrical quantities in power systems
- define and measure characteristics of measuring transformers
- apply nonconventional methods in high current measurements
- produce reliable earth grounding systems
- identify breakdowns in power cables and lines
- identify the high voltage transformers and generators in laboratory and in service
- analyze the results of HV testing
- apply the data from lightning location systems
Forms of Teaching
Teaching on the subject is organized through two teaching cycles. The first cycle consists of 7 weeks of classes and midterm exams, while the second cycle contains 6 weeks of classes and a final exam. Classes are conducted for a total of 15 weeks with a weekly load of 2 hours. Laboratory exercises will be organized as agreed with the students.Independent assignments
Checking the acquired knowledge through practical homework tasks.Laboratory
As part of laboratory exercises, students will be able to practice measurements on transformers and magnetic measurements, and several demonstration exercises in the field of high voltage and current measurement techniques will be presented as well.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||20 %||0 %||0 %|
|Homeworks||0 %||20 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||30 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||30 %|
|Exam: Written||30 %||0 %|
|Exam: Oral||30 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Ideal and realistic instrument transformer. Voltage and current vector diagram. Instrument transformer errors sources.
- Inductive voltage and current instrument transformers. Realization and standard requirements.
- Amplitude and phase error diagram (Möllinger-Gewecke diagram). Measurement of errors of measuring transformers.
- Testing of magnetic properties of transformer core. Wattmetric method for core-losses measurement.
- Measurement of transformer winding resistance and leakage inductance. Measurement of insulation loss angle. Partial discharge measurements.
- Non-conventional measuring transducers. Magnetic transducers. Measurement of high DC currents. Magneto-optical current transformer. Voltage optical instrument transformer.
- Grounding of sources and loads. Earthing systems. Earthing resistance measurement. Measurement of soil resistivity (specific soil resistance).
- Midterm exam
- Requirements and safety of HV testing laboratory
- Capacitive dividers. Spherical spark gaps.
- Measurements and testing using impulse voltages and impulse currents.
- Measurement of isolation resistance. Measurement of protective characteristics of metal-oxide surge arresters.
- Measurements and testing using HVDC voltages.
- Final exam