The subject gives the necessary qualifications for understanding of basic electroacoustic and acoustic principles. Based on the knowledge they have gained, the students will be able to individually solve problems from fields of acoustics, electroacoustics and audiotechnics. Understanding the properties of human hearing. Introduce the electro-acoustic transducers and their properties. The students will acquire knowledge about the widespread use of ultrasound.
- define the sound propagation in room or space
- analyze the acoustical properties of room
- apply the electro-acoustic-mechanical analogies
- classify the impact of noise to human
- appraise the quality of electroacoustic devices
- assemble electro-acoustic systems
- estimate the application of specific acoustic materials
- analyze the effects and properties of sound in advanced technologies
Forms of Teaching
Concentrated lecture, with all the options and present. Practical examples. Communication with students during and after school hours.Exams
Mid-term exams after half of the teaching material. Final exam: written and oral.Laboratory Work
8 independent laboratory exercises. The student must demonstrate an understanding of the practice areas of practice.Experiments
Demonstration of specific acoustic parameters. A detailed insight into specific structures and electro-acoustical constructions.Experimental Exercises
2 complex exercises.Consultations
Lecturer is available to students in office hours for oral consultations, and by email any time.Seminars
Student should select a topic from relevant to the course. The theme is mostly an introduction to the area of student interest.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||15 %||0 %||15 %|
|Seminar/Project||0 %||15 %||0 %||15 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||20 %|
|Final Exam: Oral||30 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||40 %|
|Exam: Oral||30 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction. Fundamentals of acoustics. The phenomena of the sound propagation.
- The theory and characteristics of sound field. Sound waves in closed spaces. Acoustic signals. Music and speech.
- Electroacoustical-mechanical analogies.
- Sound sources (spherical, dipole) and phenomena related to sound propagation.
- Hearing acoustics. Psychoacoustics.
- Communication acoustics. Architectural and building acoustics.
- Architectural and building acoustics. Absorbers, resonators and diffusers.
- Middle term exam
- Environmental noise. Noise influence on human. Noise and vibrations in architectural acoustics. Laws and regulations.
- Measurement and evaluation of airborne and structural noise.
- Ultrasound. Kind of expansion in different media. Snell's law. The main effects. The application in technique and medicine. Hydroacoustics.
- Electroacoustic transducers: microphones. Classification, basic properties, applications.
- Electroacoustic transducers: loudspeakers. Classification, basic properties, applications.
- Electroacoustic transducers: headphones, hydrophones, pickups.. Sound reinforcement. Loudspeaker systems.
- Final exam.