Understanding of characteristics of electronic devices and basic circuits in analog and digital electronics. Understanding and usage of electronic circuits analysis techniques.
- explain the operation of basic semiconductor devices
- analyze basic electronic amplifiers
- compare the amplifiers with different electronic devices
- analyze CMOS logic circuits
- apply operational amplifier in analog and digital circuits
- analyze of electronic circuits using electronic computers
- apply basic measurements in electronic laboratory
Forms of Teaching
problem solving exercisesLaboratory Work
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Laboratory Exercises||0 %||12 %||0 %||12 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||0 %||44 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||0 %||44 %|
|Exam: Written||0 %||50 %|
|Exam: Oral||38 %|
Before final exam students must have completed all laboratory exercises.
Week by Week Schedule
- Role of electronics. Types of signals in analog and digital electronics. Impulse response of CR i RC networks
- Electrical properties of semiconductors. Silicon structure. Intrinsic and doped silicon. Other semiconductors. Bandgap. Intrinsic concentration. Carrier concentrations. Temperature dependence. Carrier energy distribution.
- Drift current. Semiconductor conductivity. pn-junction in equilibrium. Built-in voltage. Depletion layer.
- Forward and reverse biased pn-junction. Current-voltage characteristics. pn-junction breakdown. Temperature dependence.
- Small-sygnal diode resistance. Junction capacitance. Diffusion capacitance. Small-signal equivalent model. Diode as a switch. Metal-semiconductor junction. Schottky diode.
- Diodes in optoelectronics: light emitting diodes, photodiodes, solar cells. MOS structure. MOS transistor. Operation. Current-voltage characteristics. CMOS structure.
- FET temperature dependence and breakdowns. Small-signal FET parameters and small-signal equivalent model. FET amplifiers. Biasing.
- Midterm exam.
- Common-source, common gate and common drain amplifier. Comparison of basic FET amplifiers.
- CMOS inverter: voltage transfer characteristic, time-domain operation, power dissipation. CMOS logic-gates. CMOS latches.
- Bipolar junction transistor (BJT). Operation in the active mode. Current gains. BJT connections and modes of operation. BJT current-voltage characteristics. Temperature dependence.
- BJT small-signal parameters and small-signal equivalent model. BJT amplifiers. Biasing. Common-emitter amplifier.
- Common base and common collector amplifier. Comparison of basic BJT amplifiers.
- BJT as a switch. ECL logic circuit. Ideal operational amplifier (Op-Amp). Properties of real operational amplifiers. Op-Amp amplifiers. Op-Amps in analog computations.
- Final exam