Electric Facilities Automation
Understanding signal aquiring metods and its logical processing. Creating control algorithms. Knowledge of the programmable controllers structure. Using the software tool for programmable controllers.
- distinguish types of signals in power plants
- define process interfaces for local automation
- distinguish fixed-wired and programmable technology
- explain signal diagrams in relay technique
- prepare flow charts for programming of control algorithms
- use software tool for programming of PLC / PAC device
- recognize distributed control system and process communication bus
- explain human-machine interface and process visualization
Forms of Teaching
Lectures supported by Power Point presentations.Experiments
Programming PLC devices using PCs and demo-panels during the lectures.
|Type||Threshold||Percent of Grade||Threshold||Percent of Grade|
|Homeworks||50 %||20 %||50 %||20 %|
|Class participation||50 %||10 %||50 %||10 %|
|Attendance||50 %||10 %||0 %||0 %|
|Mid Term Exam: Written||50 %||20 %||0 %|
|Final Exam: Written||50 %||40 %|
|Exam: Written||50 %||70 %|
Week by Week Schedule
- Introduction. Definitions and Terminology. Substation integration and automation system architecture. Open systems. Interface between automation and the substation.
- Input and output signals. Binary, impulse and analog signals. Signal conditioning equipment. Signal sources. Measuring transducers. Actuators.
- Status monitoring. Analog data acquisition. Control function. Equipment for local automation – fix wired and programmable. Relay based automation equipment.
- Programmable logic controllers - PLC. Internal architecture. Principles of operation. PLC versus computers. PLC hardware components. Input/Output section. CPU. Memory.
- Number system and codes. Binary system. Hexadecimal system. BCD and ASCII code. Encoding and decoding. Fundamentals of logic. Basic logic functions: NOT, AND, OR. Boolean algebra. De Morgan rules.
- Basic PLC programming. Ladder diagrams. Instruction set. Function block diagrams. IEC 1131 standard.
- Internal relays. Battery-backed relays. One-shot operations. Set and reset functions. Edge detection.
- Programming timers. Types of timers: ON-delay, OFF-delay, single-pulse, frequency generator.
- Programming counters. Up and down counters. Cascading counters. Sequencer and shift registers.
- Data handling. Data types: input, output. memory and communication. Bits, bytes, words and double words. Compare functions. Arithmetic instructions
- PLC Expansion. Local and remote expansion. PLC networking. Master and slave communication.
- Communication networks inside the substation. Distributed intelligence system. Field busses: PROFI-, BIT-, CAN-, LON-, MOD-,EI-, M-Bus.
- Programming tool EasySoft. Project structure. Programming of Easy control relay.
- Practical programming of control algorithm using demo panel.
- PLC installation, commissioning and testing. Powering and electrical noise. Grounding. Unput/output monitoring. Forcing outputs. Program transfer, program testing. On-line program editing.